Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Home Oil Change Today, What a MESS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Dilemma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim
Unless the engines changed dramatically from 2008 to 2009,
It must have because I just looked for the third time, and 09 is 3 1/2 wet. I dont peer check myself this much at work, and I write work plans at a nuclear facility.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilemma
It must have because I just looked for the third time, and 09 is 3 1/2 wet. I dont peer check myself this much at work, and I write work plans at a nuclear facility.
That is weird. I just looked in my 08 Softail Owners Manual and it says to add "no more than 3.0 qts". What does it state in your Owners Manual? Just curious. Might as well peer check the **** out this.

Maybe the 09 Softails have a 1.0 qt larger oil tank ????

Last edited by Tucson_Tim; 06-02-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
creatv1
Tourer

Originally Posted by yljkt
I punch a small hole at the bottom leading edge of the filter with a hammer and an awl. Small funnel under the hole, drain into old metal baking tin. Change filter, slide pan under crankcase, drain that. No mess.
Here's a dedicated funnel made just for this technique. Nice because it snaps on securely. I actually met the guy who invented this. He lives pretty close to me and I almost bought a Deluxe from him. Cool dude-- pilot, inventor, bike builder.

http://www.ernstmfg.com/products_oilfunnel.php

Attached Thumbnails First Home Oil Change Today, What a MESS!-product_oilfilterfunnel.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Meathook
Cruiser

Yep, big mess first time: big change in 15 years from 1995 to 2010.

Learned on my own nickel and built a custom pan out of a floor degreaser jug to catch the primary. Use a 2x4 to lift the bike so the oil pan went ALL the way under.

Let it drain for 3 hours before pulling the filter: minimal ran on the oil cooler.

Lots of floor dry the first time: virtually none the second.

Already had a huge funnel to get the SYN3 in without missing and knew it would not that 4 quarts: started with 3 and brought it up slow after warming him up to operating temp. Checked next 2 days after riding to be sure.

Now just once a week.

School of hard knocks works every time!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyriv
Looks interesting but appears to have a flaw..not sure there's enough clearance to get the puncturing/draining bit in place (certainly not on a glide)
I am. I've already checked on my Heritage. Put it on with the valve at the top and punch the filter then rotate it between the frame to drain.

I called a guy at one of the aircraft supply houses I've done business with. He pulled one and gave the measurements.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:41 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilemma
Changed my oil this afternoon on my FXSTC. (First one after the 1000 mile service.

First, nice location on the filter HD! You CANNOT not spill. Next time, I am making a small tin funnel.

Next, filling it up. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN you cant dump 3 1/2 quarts right in like a car, half of it went on the ground!

UGH! Oh well, mess cleaned up, oil changed.

That is all,,
First oil change or service? Did you check -adjust the fallaway?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
yeah, but he has a dedicated area that he uses to do this in, so he is not trying as hard to keep the area clean like you would be at your house. also, he's trying to do this as fast as he can so he can move on to the next job. again, keeping clean is not the top priority on his mind.
Very true. The man rarely stops working. Always bikes pulling up to have something done. Also a very smooth concrete floor, so cleaning up spilled fluids is easy. I've got a real smooth concrete floor in my work bay also, so no worries there either.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Dilemma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the 1000 mile service done at the dealer. This was an oil change I did at 4000 miles,,,

Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I always loosen the filter enough with the the wrench so I can remove it by hand. Then put one of those ^*&% plastic bags you get at the grocery store around the filter and the mount. Then take the filter off and just let it and the oil go into the plastic bag. You will get some oil drops but a paper towel is more then enough to clean that up.

You can always wipe some oil on the floor to make it look cool.

Jim

Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by badwhine
Is that in feet pound or inch pound?

Quick Reply: First Home Oil Change Today, What a MESS!