General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Home Oil Change Today, What a MESS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:11 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used an old plastic garbage can lid to catch all the oil then poured it in a container for the recycle trip. I think changing the oil on my EVO is a little easier except for getting to the filter if you don't have the end cap with the 3/8th hole I don't know how you would get the filter off best bike dollars I've spent so far.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dilemma
Manual says 3 1/2 on a wet,,,,,,,,,,,,
Not my H-D 08 Softail manual -- 2.5 quarts wet. What manual are you looking at? The H-D manual?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Better go check your manual again.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

Originally Posted by SuperglideKen
Better go check your manual again.
Me or the OP?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Do not rely on the amount printed in the manuals for Sportsters, Dynas, or touring bikes. USE THE DIP STICK!

The 2 litre coke bottle and a razor blade makes a great funnel for catching the oil. You can take the cap off the bottle and run a long extension for the ratchet thru it, Soon as the filter is loose enough to spin by hand, remove the socket extension, put the cap on the bottle.... Mess with it a few times and you'll figure it out.

I keep a bag of portland cement around. Spread some on the garage floor where the oil has spilled. Wait about 2 six packs of beer and a few cigars, then just sweep it up. Works far better than kitty litter!!!

Last edited by rh8234; 06-02-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
I had a local indy (custom builder and mechanic) do my 1000 mile fluid changes, wanted to see if there were any tricks to it. He made a damn mess all over the front when the filter was taken off too. I don't know how many thousands of oil changes he's done, probly a few, and he makes a mess. I won't feel bad about making a mess the next time. I've got a couple cans of break cleaner in my shop, normally reserved for when I've got to pull the front axle of my Jeep apart, so I'm all set.
yeah, but he has a dedicated area that he uses to do this in, so he is not trying as hard to keep the area clean like you would be at your house. also, he's trying to do this as fast as he can so he can move on to the next job. again, keeping clean is not the top priority on his mind.

Yep, that's the problem -- the OP filled it too full by a quart. Maybe he was thinking Sporty -- they take 3.5 qts of engine oil.
Not my H-D 08 Softail manual -- 2.5 quarts wet. What manual are you looking at? The H-D manual?
look at the front cover of your manual. does it say 'softail' or does it say 'touring'? i know my buds dyna manual calls for 2-1/2 qts wet. he knows too, after trying to dump 3-1/2 in there also.

Originally Posted by Dilemma
Next, filling it up. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN you cant dump 3 1/2 quarts right in like a car, half of it went on the ground!

UGH! Oh well, mess cleaned up, oil changed.

That is all,,
you may have already done this, but go back and check your dip stick. i hope that you drained some of the oil out after what you spilt. otherwise, your still way overfull.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:27 PM
stevent
Road Master

4 quarts for my 08 FLHT I have an oil cooler on mine, makes it a beetch to get at the filter. I just let it drip then clean it up with Zep Orange degreaser. You're right about the oily jeans thing, scares the rubbies away plus when they get dirty enough it forms a natural waterproof barrier, handy on those un-expected rainy rides!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:30 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the filter spilled oil to libricate my engine mount during changes. No need to catch it.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RutRoo
…….the $18.00 a bottle H-D Sreaming Eagle Syn3 that you just put in..
…………man, they saw you coming !!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

I just ordered one of these from JC Whitney. It looks like a great idea.

By the way Whitney has free shipping for Fathers day. Use the code at the top of the page. BUY4DAD

Quick Reply: First Home Oil Change Today, What a MESS!