General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Of course the plugs work just fine.Been using them for many years.Can't begin to say how many tires have been worn out with plugs in them.For the life of me cannot understand why so many are afraid of tire plugs.I know of guys that eagerly await these skiddish riders to discard these plugged tires for their own machines.
When one fails you will know.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:47 AM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one would only use the plug as just that, a plug. I would replace the tire asap. a couple hundred dollars isnt worth the taking a chance. I do however trust that this plug would get the job done until you are able to get the proper repairs made. I think the OP's story is proof of that.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat_Boy
Thanks for the info, I'll be checking into getting one of these kits.

On a side note:
A few weeks ago I was on a ride with my dad and he got a flat front tire (tube, spoke rims) from riding on a gravel road and I guess a sharp rock punctured the tube but there was no hole in the tire itself. The tire was only put on a few months ago. Well we got it inflated and rode to a local indy shop to get it fixed. This indy shop would not fix it they said he needed a new front tire. They said due to insurance reasons they do not plug or repair any tires. Needless to say he just bought a new tube elsewhere. Did any of you ever hear of this before or was the shop just trying to sell a tire + $70 labor?
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Few of us out for a spin & 1 of the guys had a real soft rear tire. Went to the dealer nearby, and they wouldn't plug it. Said that it's a law in PA --- can't plug a motorcycle tire. He had to buy a new one, even though he had only about 1000 miles on the old one.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 AM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the same kit in my saddle bag as well. Never had to use it on the bike (knock on wood) but did use it on a car tire. Held like a charm. Good peace of mind to have since we don't carry spares.

Bill

Old 06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
redsled
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laced/tube front, cast/tubeless rear - works for me.

Earlier post notwithstanding, most flats I've heard of (and all that I've ever had) have been in the rear tire. And you can't see the rear wheel on a bagger anyways, so who cares what it looks like??

Old 06-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Ottercycle
2nd Gear

thanks for posting this, much better than the kit i've been carrying and i hadn't known of this one. i've had to use my other kit and trying to get a plug in by force is no fun. i like the idea this kit has of using tools to insert the plug.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I know several guys who swear by this kit.
http://www.dynaplug.com/
I like the size for packing on a bike.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Same with over the road truck tires,alot of places will not patch them.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Slopneck
Road Master

Thanks for sharing the info! I always feel more comfortable picking up a product that a fellow rider recommends. I'll be getting one of these kits!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the tire changed today, below are the pics of the plug from the inside and outside, and the culprit.

Quick Reply: Tire Plug