General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up from the road or sabotaged ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:15 PM
dibe
|
Tourer
Default Picked up from the road or sabotaged ??

Well I was going to go to the hardware store Saturday morning and decided to take the bike. I went to turn off of the street an noticed it was handling like garbage. I pulled over and checked the tires and sure enough I had a flat. I took the bike home and what did I discover?? Well look below and you will see.

I just wanted your guy's opinion. This was just about in the center of my rear tire and I have a real hard time believing I picked this up off of the road. I know it is a crappy pic but it is a self tapping screw.

BTW it wasn't the tape measure I found in my tire

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:19 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know but i've picked up an awful lot of stuff in my car tires over the years.

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:22 PM
SloChicken
Road Master

Pretty much all nails or screws go all the way in before you find them.
Unless you are having problems with someone, i would suggest it in all likelihood came off the road.

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:23 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

You ever walk the along the road or parking lot with your head down? It's crazy amazing how much stuff is just laying aroung waiting for you to drive over it. It was probably stuck in a crack in the pavement and you just happened to be the one that found it.

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:25 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Well, As a former auto mechanic there wasn't a week that went by where I didn't repair at least 2 tires with screws in them (that I found while they were up in the air). You would think it would be hard for a nail or screw to pierce straight into a tire but it happens A LOT.

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:27 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Ever been in the military and have to do FOD walks on an air strip? I work on a military base and walk the area that I ride through to park my bike. Some days I come up with hand fulls of screws and nails.

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:29 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup hard to believe how some things can find there way into a tire.

Generally its the front tire rolling over that sets it up for the rear.

Shoot had a 3/8 bolt get into the rear tire of my cage at parking lot speeds once , WTF.

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:31 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Default This isn't the same but...

Originally Posted by dibe
Well I was going to go to the hardware store Saturday morning and decided to take the bike. I went to turn off of the street an noticed it was handling like garbage. I pulled over and checked the tires and sure enough I had a flat. I took the bike home and what did I discover?? Well look below and you will see.

I just wanted your guy's opinion. This was just about in the center of my rear tire and I have a real hard time believing I picked this up off of the road. I know it is a crappy pic but it is a self tapping screw.

BTW it wasn't the tape measure I found in my tire
A few years back while getting on the freeway in a front wheel drive car, my back tire suddenly went flat, like a blow out had happened. I couldn't figure out why as the car was pretty new. When I had the tire taken off the rim there was a pair of pliers inside! Seems like I ran over the pliers with my front wheel and being front wheel drive and accelerating it shot the pliers right through the sidewall of the rear tire. My point is that weird things happen when it comes to road debris.

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:31 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

I turned off the interstate one day to go through a small town and when I was slowing for a stop sign I heard the unmistakable sounds of air escaping from a tire. I was only about a block from a Les Schwab tire store so I pulled in. They dismounted the tire and found a tire weight inside the casing. The weight had apparently been run over many times because it was flattened out like a knife blade. It cut through a steel belted radial and was inside the tire. Strange things happen and I'd say you picked up the screw while on the road.

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:40 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

You just got unlucky and picked up a screw. If someone was wanting to ruin your day a screw in the tire is too hit and miss.

Quick Reply: Picked up from the road or sabotaged ??