General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up from the road or sabotaged ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010 | 10:51 PM
dibe
|
Tourer

Maybe I have just been getting paranoid after reading all of the Harley hate on the local CL rant's and raves

Old 05-31-2010 | 11:22 PM
bolillo57
Road Master

Anyone around the DC metro area pretty much knows the Springfield Interchange area. (Big time ramp contruction project going on 12 years now)Once going to work was going thru the area and got a flat, stopped and changed it and noticed what appeared to be the end of a bolt sticking out right at the bottom of the sidewall. Took it to the tirre shop the next day after work and the "bolt" turned out to be a 9" screwdriver minus the handle. WTF, needless to say since it was on the sidewall, no repair possible. Stupid screwdriver ended up costing me a $200.00 tire, (thank goodness for road hazard insurance) and the tire that was ruined was only a month old! Have had other flats in the area caused by screws and nails, tire guys said they get at least 4-6 tires a week for nails and crap from that area.

Old 05-31-2010 | 11:29 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer

Originally Posted by bolillo57
Anyone around the DC metro area pretty much knows the Springfield Interchange area. (Big time ramp contruction project going on 12 years now)Once going to work was going thru the area and got a flat, stopped and changed it and noticed what appeared to be the end of a bolt sticking out right at the bottom of the sidewall. Took it to the tirre shop the next day after work and the "bolt" turned out to be a 9" screwdriver minus the handle. WTF, needless to say since it was on the sidewall, no repair possible. Stupid screwdriver ended up costing me a $200.00 tire, (thank goodness for road hazard insurance) and the tire that was ruined was only a month old! Have had other flats in the area caused by screws and nails, tire guys said they get at least 4-6 tires a week for nails and crap from that area.
That exact same thing happened to me, except it was in the rear tire of my 2000 Corvette.

Old 06-01-2010 | 02:40 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Ever been in the military and have to do FOD walks on an air strip? I work on a military base and walk the area that I ride through to park my bike. Some days I come up with hand fulls of screws and nails.
Friggin "FOD" walks. LMAO Haven't thought about that phrase in years.

To the OP, I think sometime during the night a cat chewed off your bell and shortly there after a gremlin with screwdriver attached the aforementioned screw.

Seriously though I have picked nails, screws, tacks etc in my own driveway. Think may I should "FOD WALK" my driveway? "FOREIGN OBJECT DAMAGE" or the prevention thereof.

Old 06-01-2010 | 04:22 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

I won't even touch this one. Gawd.

Old 06-01-2010 | 06:06 AM
Route66rider
Tourer

There are a couple of stoplights on my way to work that I always seem to catch and the amount (and type) of trash both in the main traffic path and a bit off to the side is amazing.
Several years ago a hometown owned lumberyard that my cousin worked at lost one of those 50# boxes of roofing nails from the back of their delivery truck. They were good folks there and were paying for flat tire repairs for ages it seemed like.

Old 06-01-2010 | 06:35 AM
fxdxrider
Road Captain

2 weekends ago I had exactly the same as you. 1.5" crosshead square on in the middle of the rear tyre. Looked suspicious though being so perfectly square on in the tyre. I was 120 miles into a 160 mile trip and the handling suddenly went off. Point is that I put air in and checked tyres before the trip and everything was ok so I must have picked it up on the road. Paranoia kicking in I guess.

New whitewall and inner tube plus fitting here in the UK £359 (around $500) and a 2 week wait while the UK's most famous HD dealership sourced a tyre for a 2008 Road King Classic!

Old 06-01-2010 | 06:43 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

I once had a 1/4" bolt sticking through a car tire.Still makes me wonder how that happened.

Old 06-01-2010 | 07:15 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Does not sound odd to me.
I had a 1/8 dia. drill bit stuck in my rear tire.

Old 06-01-2010 | 07:42 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

Amateurs, any good sabotagers out there knows that nails, and screws are too random, they should of put sugar in the fuel tank.

Quick Reply: Picked up from the road or sabotaged ??