General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something the local HD saleman said caught my attention

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 03:14 PM
bloomington g
Road Captain

If the Crossbones is dropped, it would only be due to the the bike appealing to a very limited market. They may sell all they make, but how many units do they produce a year vs. other softails? Speaking of Softails, I am surprised that they continue to make the Heritage/Deluxe/Fatboy. The three cannibalize off each other. They could just offer one base bike with "appearance package" options.

The Superglide is a great bike (no spokes!). But, how many new buyers go into a dealership and drive out with the base Dyna vs. the Custom or a Bob?

Personally, I love the Roadglide. But, most folks that buy baggers tend to go for a RK or one of the batwings.

Dropping the 1200C? That one is hard to buy into.

Old 06-04-2010 | 10:17 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
.....then slowly lose market share.
that would be an improvement on the current situation of quickly losing it......

Old 06-04-2010 | 10:32 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I heard the MoCo is getting rid of sales guys at the dealerships and you can buy your bike on-line for $2,000 less.

Old 06-04-2010 | 06:25 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BCCustomK
While at the local HD dealer, I had a chat with one of the sales guys as he was showing the new 2011 color book to a guy looking to buy a Streetglide. We got to talking about various models, and he said that it wouldn't suprise him if the Rocker and the base model V-Rod disappeared. He also mentioned that they couldn't give the Cross Bones away. That suprised me, because I see them on the road here quite abit, and there a good looking platform to customize. It'll be interesting to see what Models HD drops,if any, and what they pull out of their parts bins.
One thing you can take to the bank; Harley will discontinue the union model. The union model is a bad ride.

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:46 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

Lots of Rockers in my area. I see them all the time.

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:59 PM
Clutch13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DocJ
It is official that the base v-rod and superglide are gone, along with the softail standard. The 1200 sportster cutom is also gone. Nothing is happening to the crossbones or rocker c.

There are other threads on this...I can't remember all the models that are leaving.
Pssst...I think your info is a little old...the softail standard hasn't been in the lineup for a couple of years.

Old 06-08-2010 | 03:27 PM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser

I don't see hardly any crossbones, i wouldn't mind having one of them. Rockers seem to be seen every-so-often too. The Vrods are dime a dozen though.

Old 06-08-2010 | 03:52 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by Clutch13
Pssst...I think your info is a little old...the softail standard hasn't been in the lineup for a couple of years.
I was hoping nobody would bring it up....lol

Originally Posted by yoacedeuce
I don't see hardly any crossbones, i wouldn't mind having one of them. Rockers seem to be seen every-so-often too. The Vrods are dime a dozen though.
Around here (SW MO) I see more V-Rods on the street than FatBobs, StreetBobs, WideGlides, CrossBones and Rockers combined. However, the local HD dealership can't seem to sell new ones for anything. We have two '09
models still sitting there...and they came in with the first '09s the store got! Most everyone I talk to that has a V-Rod bought it used from out-of-state. Where do they come from? I guess Joplin is enthralled with used V-Rods...

Old 06-08-2010 | 04:24 PM
DXTBIKER
Cruiser

Around here (SW MO) I see more V-Rods on the street than FatBobs, StreetBobs, WideGlides, CrossBones and Rockers combined.

Same around here, V rods everywhere. ( SE MI )

Old 06-08-2010 | 04:56 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member

I see them every blue moon in nor-Cal. this is bagger country and RGs and SGs are everywhere...

Quick Reply: Something the local HD saleman said caught my attention