General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Helmet = No SGLI is a Myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:39 PM
army_sarge
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Helmet = No SGLI is a Myth

Now that the riding season is here there's been much talk on military installations about personal protective gear and sometimes for good reason when the circumstances involve an 18 year old full of testosterone on a 1000 cc crotch rocket. But on the other hand there are many responsible riders who ride cruisers who are scrutinized for the accidents and fatalities from the sport bike crowd. One commander had the ***** to say in an open forum that if he caught anyone riding off base without a helmet, he would have their SGLI cancelled. I don't think he can do this

http://www.insurance.va.gov/SGLISITE...ythsRumors.htm

Last edited by army_sarge; 05-31-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

Here we go again............

Old 05-31-2010, 05:46 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess you'll have to as long as the Commander says so?

Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

What don't you understand about; You Are Government Property ?

Old 05-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Serge A. Storms
Road Captain
Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I have friends in the Navy, they are required to wear DOT helmets regardless of what the law says. They also have mandatory safety classes, not sur how often though.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:58 PM
NR4TW
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
What don't you understand about; You Are Government Property ?
Another BS myth. A person, even one with a military contract, is NOT government property. You still have rights. In fact, if you're ever accused of a crime in the military, you'll find out that your rights are protected to a much greater degree in the military than they are in the civilian system.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
96black&blue
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G.I. = Goverment Issue..... one each

Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Badger Matt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beware of barrack's lawyers. SGLI should be good-to-go, but not so all other VA benefits should a line of duty determination not go your way http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...cles/bllod.htm

As far as not being required to follow safety rules when riding off base, you might want to brush up on DODI 6055.4. It applies as long as you're on active duty, on or off-base. Disregard it at your own peril should it all go south and your CO order a line of duty determination investigation.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have the stats but would bet that chances of surviving a crash are greatly improved when wearing the correct PPE on or off base. You don't have to bundle up to ride safe. If you are an Army Sgt you should know better and lead by example by showing the young pups that riding safe means wearing a helmet in hot temps. Why do you think the Cdr made those comments? Answer that question truthfully and you might understand where he is coming from. Maybe it's not peace of mind. Maybe he saw something unsafe or someone got hurt on a bike.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Celizball
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that wearing a helmet along with all of your PPE is safe as well as the right thing to do in the Army isn't the issue being made (I don't think). The CDR shouldn't make stuff like that up whether it helps his cause or not. Soldiers don't take to lying well, and they sure as hell aren't going to have any respect for someone who lies to them. I have been teaching "Joe's" for long enough to know that...

Quick Reply: No Helmet = No SGLI is a Myth