General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Helmet = No SGLI is a Myth

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by army_sarge
Now that the riding season is here there's been much talk on military installations about personal protective gear and sometimes for good reason when the circumstances involve an 18 year old full of testosterone on a 1000 cc crotch rocket. But on the other hand there are many responsible riders who ride cruisers who are scrutinized for the accidents and fatalities from the sport bike crowd. One commander had the ***** to say in an open forum that if he caught anyone riding off base without a helmet, he would have their SGLI cancelled. I don't think he can do this

http://www.insurance.va.gov/SGLISITE...ythsRumors.htm
Probably not, but AR 385-55 does say:

d. Motorcycle personal protective equipment. The following PPE is mandatory for the following personnel while
operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle, moped, or ATV: all Army military personnel at any time, on or off
a DOD installation;
all Army civilian personnel in a duty status, on or off a DOD installation; all personnel in or on a
DOD–owned motorcycle; and all persons at any time on an Army installation.
(1) Helmets, certified to meet DOT standards, must be properly fastened under the chin. Outside CONUS riders may
wear HN helmets if the helmet meets or exceeds U.S. DOT standards.
(2) Impact or shatter resistant goggles, wraparound glasses, or fullface shield properly attached to the helmet must
meet or exceed ANSI Safety Code Z87.1, for impact and shatter resistance. A windshield alone is not proper eye
protection.
(3) Sturdy footwear, leather boots or over the ankle shoes must be worn.
(4) A long sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full fingered gloves or mittens designed for use on a
motorcycle must be worn.
(5) For on–road operations, a brightly colored, outer upper garment during the day and a reflective upper garment
during the night. Military uniforms do not meet this criterion. The outer garment shall be clearly visible and not
covered. Items may be worn on top of the outer garment, but they must meet the same visibility requirements of the
outer upper garment.
(6) During off-road operations, operators and riders must use additional PPE, such as knee and shin guards and
padded full fingered gloves.
(7) Installation commanders will ensure motorcycle operators, when entering the installation, are properly licensed, have successfully completed a motorcycle rider course, and are wearing the required personal motorcycle safety equipment.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Probably not, but AR 385-55 does say:
Yup... Straight out of the AR. But it doesn't kill your SGLI.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:40 PM
mpmillion
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
Ok, so can you say you follow orders but in the same breath say you violate orders. Isn't that an oxymoron???? Got nothing against the mentioned act at all just curious if you really meant it the way you wrote. Kinda like your parents saying "do as I say, not as I do".

I absolutely knew this thread would be a funny read. Ill informed SNCO's guessing something isn't correct? A true leader of men would research the issue at hand and know exactly what is supposed to happen.

Whether or not CO is full of chit or not, right or wrong you don't have to respect the man you respect the rank. Your personal opinion and that of your subordinates doesn't count. Remember the old saying or maybe you don't, "Ours is not reason why, ours is but to do or die." Not pleasant but for whatever its worth it is a fact of military life.

Sgli doesn't care if you wear reflective material, helmets, gloves, assless chaps, poser gear, pantyhose or anything else. It's term life insurance policy and has the same exclusions as other policies.

How Can SGLI Coverage be Forfeited?
The coverage provided by the SGLI program will be forfeited only when an insured member is found guilty of mutiny, treason, spying, or desertion, or refuses, because of conscientious objections, to perform service in the Armed Forces of the United States, or refuses to wear the uniform of such force.
No insurance shall be payable for death inflicted as a lawful punishment for crime or for military or naval offense except when inflicted by an enemy of the United States.

Sure as hell glad we didn't have "leaders" of this caliber when I was in the Corps. And I sure as hell made damn sure all my troops knew wtf was going on and what was expected of them. Take the time out to do your research wisely, study it, understand it, pass it along and make damn sure you troops completely understand it.:icon_fryingpan :
Dang...guess my wife will be happy. No more bj's....lol....course wacking off is something other than vaginal penetration so I guess that would be sodomy too....HAHA!!!
If you have the publication for the reasons SGLI can be Forfeited I would greatly appreciate that because it is something I have never seen. Just the number would be a huge help to me.
If you think I'm a crappy leader because I don't wear full finger gloves in the middle of summer....then....lmfao. BUT....I don't force my soldiers to wear full finger gloves either so for me it is not "do as I say"....No one is in any position to judge anyone here. I let my records/performance do the talking....and I'll keep whippin a$$ and training soldiers. What I love to do....besides ride.
Seriously I do need that pub number....thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mpmillion
Dang...guess my wife will be happy. No more bj's....lol....course wacking off is something other than vaginal penetration so I guess that would be sodomy too....HAHA!!!
If you have the publication for the reasons SGLI can be Forfeited I would greatly appreciate that because it is something I have never seen. Just the number would be a huge help to me.
If you think I'm a crappy leader because I don't wear full finger gloves in the middle of summer....then....lmfao. BUT....I don't force my soldiers to wear full finger gloves either so for me it is not "do as I say"....No one is in any position to judge anyone here. I let my records/performance do the talking....and I'll keep whippin a$$ and training soldiers. What I love to do....besides ride.
Seriously I do need that pub number....thanks
LMAO, wasn't talking about the gloves or you particular (Isn't spanking monkey sop f/in country? ). You can find all the information you need on the SGLI website, I believe it was mentioned in the OP. I pulled what I put in the comment from their website.

Life insurance "cannot" be cancelled unless 1. YOU do it. 2. YOU don't make your payments. 3. With SGLI there is the end of service.

Do what you do best, train 'em, bring em home safe, along along with your dogface azz. Stay safe, watch your 6. Semper Fi brother.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:14 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Reading the DODI, it is plain to me that you have to comply with all the protective clothing regs on and off an installation or you could lose SGLI among other things.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 AM
mpmillion
Tourer

Originally Posted by BBStacker
LMAO, wasn't talking about the gloves or you particular (Isn't spanking monkey sop f/in country? ). You can find all the information you need on the SGLI website, I believe it was mentioned in the OP. I pulled what I put in the comment from their website.

Life insurance "cannot" be cancelled unless 1. YOU do it. 2. YOU don't make your payments. 3. With SGLI there is the end of service.

Do what you do best, train 'em, bring em home safe, along along with your dogface azz. Stay safe, watch your 6. Semper Fi brother.
It should be SOP!! I think I gave one of my soldiers a GOTWA (5 point contingency plan) in case I didn't make it back from the port-o-john one night to take care of some buisness.

Thanks to tlb for sending me this link...http://www.insurance.va.gov/sgliSite...k/handbook.pdf
This dispelled alot of things that I thought were true about the SGLI to include losing it for not wearing the gloves and over the ankle foot wear. All that good stuff.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:17 PM
firebrick
Road Warrior

F It, I have my own insurance.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
leepetersusn
Tourer

I agree, that the Commander shouldn't lie, but I've been in the Navy for 18 years and have seen my share of injuries from folks riding motorcycles. Those that were wearing the "required" PPE, had for the most part less life threatening injuries. I've been riding for 20 years and ever since I joined the Navy, I've worn the "required" PPE. It's really not that bad, and a little common sense goes a long way. What's wrong with boots, long pants, long sleeves (preferably some type of jacket), helmet, proper eye protection and full finger gloves. In the Navy, we need to wear "light" colored jacket or shirt during the day and only have to don the reflective vest when it's dark. I tend to wear my reflective bright orange vest a lot during the day, not always mind you, but a lot. I have folks ask me why I do and my question to them is "Did you see me?" If they say yes, then I tell them that's why. My best friend (he lives in the states, I live overseas) saw a picture I posted of my motorcycle in the dead of summer and my jacket was laying across the seat. He asked my if it was still cold, and I told him, that I don't ride without a jacket, no matter how hot it is.

Just my 2 cents worth. Sorry for the rant, but if you're in the military and they pay all the money they do to train you, the rules are there to protect their investment and keep you ready to do what you're paid to do.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The right answer to this concern

The commander can't revoke your SGLI, but SGLI can deny payment if the military member isn't wearing the required PPE. This holds true for all of those folks driving cages everyday also if they aren't wearing their seatbelts. I am a certified CACO officer (yes, I have had to make death announcements and it SUCKS!).

Thanks to all of you military folks who put it on the line everyday. Wear your PPE, I do!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Thunderheader
Advanced

I can relate to this in some respect. I'm enlisted in the Canadian Forces and I have not heard about something as asinine as this, but if you break the rules whatever they might be and you are caught you will be charged. Just look at General Menard who has been in the news lately; he had a negligent discharge of his weapon on the Kandahar Airfield and was charged $3500, who also had relations with a subordinate and was relieved of his command overseas in Afghanistan and sent home to meet his awaiting wife at the airport...Ouch!!!

Quick Reply: No Helmet = No SGLI is a Myth