General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Helmet = No SGLI is a Myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:18 PM
islander08
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SGLI statement might be BS but Tricare can be another story if you live. DOD can decide to charge you for any medical bills and you could lose any disability benefits you may have had coming your way.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:04 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,224 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms
I have friends in the Navy, they are required to wear DOT helmets regardless of what the law says. They also have mandatory safety classes, not sur how often though.

This was mandatory back in the mid '70's when I was in the Navy. From everything I have seen, heard, and read, the military is even more stringent on safety gear for riders.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
bks6721
Tourer

I didn't ride on base and I wore what I wanted to wear off base.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mpmillion
I've heard of people getting killed without the full PPE and still getting the SGLI benefits....the CO cannot yank your SGLI but can get you for disobeying a lawful order.
That is why I got extra life insurance. Technically SGLI doesn't have to pay out if I'm not wearing all 100" of reflective material or if I'm not wearing my full finger gloves. I'm sure they WON'T pay out if you were drunk and on your bike. Guess it all depends on who is doing the investigation. Just shootin from the hip here.
I have some buddies from Ft Hood that say they will get stopped while off post and reported to their chain of command for not wearing all their gear....

08rock we are trained to follow orders....but I still get bj's from the wifey even though it is against the UCMJ. In case someone doesn't know BJ's are considered sodomy because it is not vaginal penetration....
Ok, so can you say you follow orders but in the same breath say you violate orders. Isn't that an oxymoron???? Got nothing against the mentioned act at all just curious if you really meant it the way you wrote. Kinda like your parents saying "do as I say, not as I do".

I absolutely knew this thread would be a funny read. Ill informed SNCO's guessing something isn't correct? A true leader of men would research the issue at hand and know exactly what is supposed to happen.

Whether or not CO is full of chit or not, right or wrong you don't have to respect the man you respect the rank. Your personal opinion and that of your subordinates doesn't count. Remember the old saying or maybe you don't, "Ours is not reason why, ours is but to do or die." Not pleasant but for whatever its worth it is a fact of military life.

Sgli doesn't care if you wear reflective material, helmets, gloves, assless chaps, poser gear, pantyhose or anything else. It's term life insurance policy and has the same exclusions as other policies.

How Can SGLI Coverage be Forfeited?
The coverage provided by the SGLI program will be forfeited only when an insured member is found guilty of mutiny, treason, spying, or desertion, or refuses, because of conscientious objections, to perform service in the Armed Forces of the United States, or refuses to wear the uniform of such force.
No insurance shall be payable for death inflicted as a lawful punishment for crime or for military or naval offense except when inflicted by an enemy of the United States.

Sure as hell glad we didn't have "leaders" of this caliber when I was in the Corps. And I sure as hell made damn sure all my troops knew wtf was going on and what was expected of them. Take the time out to do your research wisely, study it, understand it, pass it along and make damn sure you troops completely understand it.:icon_fryingpan :

Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The helmet Zealots and Do Gooders are every where.These people really believe they are on some preordained mission to save everyone from themselves.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I broke the rules (again) today. No full length sleeves, no reflective vest...and may (good chance) have (by about double) exceeded the speed limit. ooops.

I signed a blank check many years ago, at some point it might get cashed.

Not here to preach to anyone, do what you think is the right thing when nobody is looking.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 AM
stovetop0844
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the Marine Corps can fight to not pay out your SGLI if you are killed due to a violationf of a Marine Corps Order. I.e. if you die in a bike wreck from a head injury and are not wearing a dot helmet, if you are killed by a head shot in battle and are wearing a kevlar you personally purchased rather than your issued gear, etc. I'd imagine the army is the same.

I recieved a briefing on the kevlar/body armor issue before both of my combat deployments

Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Higher ups can talk all they want about their ability to deny benefits, in most cases they are lying when they do.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Flipper
Intermediate

SGLI will not be touched. However, the CO is required to to make what is referred to as a line of duty/misconduct determination (for permanent disability or death) to determine if you were in a "duty status." This can affect several military benefits, including: extension of enlistment; withholding of longevity and retirement multipliers for the time missed, and denial of disability retirement and/or severance pay. They can also force you to pay your medical bills due to your disobeying a direct order to wear your PPE (rarely happens, but they can legally do it). BTW, suicides or bona-fide suicide attempts are considered as acts committed in the line of duty/not due to own misconduct in light of the fact that the member demonstrated a lack of mental responsibility, and is therefore not responsible for his or her actions (i.e. you get SGLI).

Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipper
SGLI will not be touched. However, the CO is required to to make what is referred to as a line of duty/misconduct determination (for permanent disability or death) to determine if you were in a "duty status." This can affect several military benefits, including: extension of enlistment; withholding of longevity and retirement multipliers for the time missed, and denial of disability retirement and/or severance pay. They can also force you to pay your medical bills due to your disobeying a direct order to wear your PPE (rarely happens, but they can legally do it). BTW, suicides or bona-fide suicide attempts are considered as acts committed in the line of duty/not due to own misconduct in light of the fact that the member demonstrated a lack of mental responsibility, and is therefore not responsible for his or her actions (i.e. you get SGLI).
Finally someone that knows wtf is going on.
Was in 164 on a float in wespac way back in the day. SEMPER FI JARHEAD.

Quick Reply: No Helmet = No SGLI is a Myth