General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Psycho car driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
Reading comprehension does not seem to be the problem here.

Someone who thinks he has exclusive rights to decide how everyone else must drive is the issue...
Ain't that the truth! I ride along a 10-mile segment of an interstate spur every morning as part of my 37-mile commute. Every morning there's this little gal in the left lane doing exactly the speed limit...which puts her at least 10 mph below the average driver on that highway. Every morning she has the entire highway fighting to get around her...flipping her off...yelling at her to move over...blah blah blah...but, she continues to hog the left lane. I know, after all this time, she has to be aware of what she's doing, and I get the distinct impression that she's doing it intentionally as tho it's her job to regulate traffic speed...but, what she's doing is against Tennessee law. We are one of many states whose law states that you should move to the right if faster traffic is coming up on your tail...regardless of your speed or posted speed limit.

I think the big problem is that most states don't really enforce that law...so, folks like rlowrider don't look at it like other laws for which citations are handed out on a regular basis. If you're hogging the left lane because you think it's your job to regulate traffic...stop it. If you're doing it because the left lane is the only place you feel safe riding a bike...sell the bike.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:20 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's never a good idea to chase a car with a bike NEVER! I know that he pissed you off, but flick him off and leave it at that or get the plate number and call the cops.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swestbrook60
Here you will not see any "slow traffic stay right" signs or any lane designations. The left lane is NOT a passing lane or the fast land, its just a lane in Texas.
You are 100% wrong - and apparently blind.

If you'd like, I'll be happy to point out the half-dozen signs on 59 between the Beltway and Highway 6 telling slower traffic to keep right.

There's one about every mile on 45 and 10 once you get out of the city center.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
keeferfish
Tourer

rlowride

Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM
wkdayridr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, you say this...........

Originally Posted by rlowride
if i am in the "hammer lane" hammering it.. i have all the right to be there....
Then, you say this..........

[quote=rlowride;6810582]Yet I am the one breaking the least of the laws.....[quote]

That sounds like an admission of guilt to me. You know you're wrong. You just don't care....which proves my point (and virtually everyone else's, for that matter).

You can't have 'all the right in the world to be there' if it is not legal. If I use that logic, if I happen to get nailed for driving 90 mph, can I tell the LEO that I have all the right in the world to do that???

You're wrong......but you can't admit it. If I happened to mention something that I did on a regular basis that I thought was OK, and dozens of people told me I was an idiot for doing it, I would seriously reconsider my actions. You see, I have this ability to admit when I'm wrong and other people are right. You should try it sometime.....it might make the highways a little safer in your little part of the world......

Old 06-04-2010, 01:41 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

One theme in this thread I detect is that most, if not all, of the pro-passing lane people seem to have no respect for the speed limit. I find it odd you advocate for adherence of one law and freely admit you violate another because it suits you and then criticize anyone who sees it different.
Actually we advocate an adherence to courtesy. While YOU may not wish to go faster than Xmph, some of us do, and it isn't YOUR place to act like the traffic nanny.
More lives are lost on our roads due to excessive speed than due to lane designations.
Yes, but far more are lost due to speed differential and unsafe lane changes than are lost due to excessive speed.

In addition, "excessive speed" does not mean "in excess of the speed limit". It means "excessive for the conditions". For example, 65mph on 59 out near Sugar Land on a clear sunny day is perfectly safe. That same speed in a torrential downpour is hideously dangerous. Based upon the speed limit signs, both are technically legal, but one is excessive.
BTW, I did a little research and Texas did this last legislative session pass a law that says a sign must be present to make the left lane a passing lane. Currently these are only in use on specific stretches of I-20 and I-35.
I don't know what you've read, but I assure you, you are utterly incorrect on them only being used on specific stretches of 20 and 35. You're also blind.
Lane designations are a result of a "me first" society and common courtesy would result in an overall better situation.
Absolutely, but unfortunately you have too many people who have appointed themselves traffic nanny for the day who don't believe they should allow anyone to pass them.
Move over if somebody wants by when you can do it safely, and give people a little time to move over instead of losing your head because your inconvenienced for a fraction of time.
Again, no problem.
If your running 10 - 20 - 30 over the speed limit you are putting everyone around you at risk and should be the last person to be spouting traffic laws.
Funny thing - multiple studies by NHTSA and AAA have shown the exact opposite to be true. Based upon speed alone, the safest group of drivers on the road are those who habitually run 10-20mph over the limit. Why? Because we KNOW we are moving faster than traffic so we actually pay attention - rather than trying to multitask.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by rlowride
I AM GLAD I DONT RIDE, KNOW OR HANG WITH ANY OF YOU !
Believe me - the feeling is mutual.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:46 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

This is still good.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:51 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

You know this thread has been really illuminating. A few additional thoughts.

1 As someone who travels widely and has driven in 49 states there clearly are regional variations in law, in customs and in enforcement. Familiarise yourself with the prevailing custom and go with the flow.

2 Choice is a good thing. The more choices I have, the safer I am. If I ride with a lane to my right and another to my left I have doubled my options to avoid collisions by changing lanes.

3 It's NEVER my job to enforce the law

4 Motorcycles and anything larger than a horsefly don't mix.

5 I am not the only vehicle on the road. I need to react and adjust to those around me. I can only control what I do, not what others do.

6 Different circumstances call for different approaches. When riding in a group the approach to riding down the highway is necessarily different. Personally I avoid riding in large groups. I think it's inherently dangerous, not least of all because drivers who are not part of the group get frustrated.

7 Drivers of other vehicles feel very isolated from me and believe that they are much safer than they really are in their cocoon. They behave in ways they would never dare to behave if they were standing shoulder to shoulder with me in a bar. Watch out - see 4 above.

8 Be flexible. Be visible. Don't be a jerk. Don't **** other drivers off. If all else fails get out of the way, slow down, pull off the road. Go another way - live to ride another day.

Last edited by davessworks; 06-04-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
This is still good.
Eh - making fun of stupid people can be fun - especially when they keep giving you ammunition

Quick Reply: Psycho car driver