General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Psycho car driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just gotta say if any o' you dbags ever ride in the passing lane in Europe and expect other drivers to pass in the wrong lane you're gonna get locked up. And if you do pass in the wrong lane you're gonna get killed.

And before any you dbags make some sort of USA USA righteous chant, yes - I know about the USA where you get to do what ever you @%#& well please.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 PM
tomryan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the issue is that we need to make a better argument..

Randy said "You would learn quickly. Rules of the road are to be followed, not interpreted differently because you want to be passed on the right."

how does that help? rules of the road are to be followed?? how about the speed limit rule??

what you should say is "dude, don't be an ****, get over and let others pass you".. don't say follow the rules of the road.. come on, that makes you look like an ****..

Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by davessworks
Just gotta say if any o' you dbags ever ride in the passing lane in Europe and expect other drivers to pass in the wrong lane you're gonna get locked up. And if you do pass in the wrong lane you're gonna get killed.

And before any you dbags make some sort of USA USA righteous chant, yes - I know about the USA where you get to do what ever you @%#& well please.
Europe hell, that applies to interstates here in Atlanta area. Learned real quick you try doing the speed limit (in most any lane) and even the LEOs will run you over. 80 year old ladies around here will plow you into the rain grooves and flip you off as they go over you!

Run with the big dogs or get back on the porch

Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tomryan
I think the issue is that we need to make a better argument..

Randy said "You would learn quickly. Rules of the road are to be followed, not interpreted differently because you want to be passed on the right."

how does that help? rules of the road are to be followed?? how about the speed limit rule??

what you should say is "dude, don't be an ****, get over and let others pass you".. don't say follow the rules of the road.. come on, that makes you look like an ****..
Nope, rules of the road, common sense, get out of the way, move right. But yes, don't be an ****, get over and let others pass you works too, lol. My family is full of truck drivers, who put millions of miles total all over the US, and I learned from them. Haven't had even a seat belt ticket in nearly 20 years. Knock on wood, lol.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Nope, rules of the road, common sense, get out of the way, move right. But yes, don't be an ****, get over and let others pass you works too, lol. My family is full of truck drivers, who put millions of miles total all over the US, and I learned from them. Haven't had even a seat belt ticket in nearly 20 years. Knock on wood, lol.
Common sense - goes a long way in my book. Not certain everyone has it though, no matter how common it is.

Last edited by davessworks; 06-02-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:58 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone driving in the left hand lane at or below the speed limit is causing much more harm than good. It is not your job to enforce the speed limit.

Causing people to back up behind you, or to have to pass you to the right is a leading cause of Road Rage. Is that what we want to do? Make people madder and madder? While they are in what might as well be a tank and we are on a unicycle? Even a Yugo is dangerous to a biker when a mad driver is behind the wheel. Make em madder, sure why not.

It is common road knowledge that the left lane is for the faster vehicles. Do you not see signs in your area that says "slower traffic keep right"? Those signs are advising you of the LAW, not giving you an opinion.

If you are backing up traffic, and forcing cars to go around you on the right, you deserve whatever you get. Ticket, rocks, road rage, coffee, anything.

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Definitely in this case.

Where did you people learn how to drive? I would think a biker of all people would drive like a professional. I learned from truckers, and they of all people encounter traffic in all states, all habits, and know what the rules are.

I hope I never ride around you in the left lane. I don't want anyone to think I know you by accident.

RD.
Lane designations are common in some parts of the US, not in others. Here you will not see any "slow traffic stay right" signs or any lane designations. The left lane is NOT a passing lane or the fast land, its just a lane in Texas. I have only seen a few signs prohibiting trucks from the left lane and those are in large cities. Yes, it is common for the left lane to be moving faster than the others, but as long as you are moving faster than the adjacent lane I see no reason anyone should feel required to immediately get out of a faster vehicles way...move over when it safe for you to do so.

Just this last weekend a truck did the same thing, ran up on a car in the left lane and laid on his horn for him to get out of the way, but the situation was the 3 left lanes were all running identical speeds at about 50 mph in Houston rush hour traffic. Another bike and I were in the lane just right of all this braking, accelerating, horn blowing, etc...and the one causing the safety issue was him, not the car in front of him. The funny part is after all his lane changing, near accidents, horn blowing and cussing...when he exited about 5 miles down the road he was maybe 3 cars ahead of us.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have another situation for any left lane advocates here than happened to me last year. On a 4 lane divided highway coming north east out of Corpus Christi, TX the right lane was so bad it was virtually unrideable on a bike. The tire ruts were so deep your tires fell into them and you went were they did and any variance was extremely difficult. I was riding staggered with my wife following me at first and then we tried riding single file in the center but you kept falling back off into the tire ruts whenever the asphalt had broken down.

The left lane was smooth so we moved over and drove in the left lane for this stretch of road which was 30 miles or so. We were not poking along, traveling 73 (by my GPS) on a 65 mph. I bet we were not doing 50 in the right lane. In Texas there is a 9 mph cushion the DPS will normally give you and this was a heavily patrolled area.

Now since Texas has no lane restrictions or designations, do you feel I had no right to be in the left lane if a car came up behind me?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:49 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDThunder
If you go so far as to refuse to move and brake check someone behind you in an attempt to cause an accident you are the ultimate d-bag. Really, it's common sense and courtesy... some people have neither.
I agree; I don't think it really matters what the posted speed limit is and how fast I'm going; if someone comes up behind me, it seems logical (and it's in the CA DMV handbook) to move over to the right and let the vehicle pass. Slamming on the brakes on a motorcycle, so the the car or pick-up has to slam on his brakes, then hopefully go around me on the right just because I don't want to move over? Hello? Is this something they teach in driver ed? A lot of drivers hate bikers anyway and a 900 lb. motorcycle doing a 'brake check' in front of a 4,500 lb. car or 5,800 lb. pick-up? Sounds way too stupid to me.

When I'm out on the Harley, for me, it's all about the ride and coming home, not about doing a brake-check just to t someone off and come home in a body bag.

Got to say I'm pretty surprised at some of the posts here regarding slamming on the brakes, throwing marbles and bolts, chasing people down... if we use basic common sense and a little courtesy and just simply move over and let the guy go, are we somehow less of a man?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:53 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah this thread is funny.. how going in the left lane is an issue.. but excessive speeding, intentionally damaging other peoples property and brake checking folks are ok....
Speak of common sense...

oh.. and to the spelling police here...
sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..
excuse my ignorance for mistyping 1 letter...
here ill help..
dodge... not didge...
may i still be allowed to post here even though I am not perfect?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:45 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Texas is a big state and I've seen plenty of these signs, just not in my area.

Sec. 544.011. LANE USE SIGNS. If, on a highway having more than one lane with vehicles traveling in the same direction, the Texas Department of Transportation or a local authority places a sign that directs slower traffic to travel in a lane other than the farthest left lane, the sign must read "left lane for passing only."

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 628, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 17.08, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

Quick Reply: Psycho car driver