General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:01 AM
joshso
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Question

I've been riding without a helmet...just purchased a 2010 Fatboy Lo. After seeing the engine size of this bike my girlfriend is now demanding I wear a helmet. And before any of you crack any jokes, we all act tough, but it seems our women can really make life difficult if they're not happy, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Question is that I was going to by a half helmet or shorty. After talking to a friend at a dealer he said that they are nothing but novelty items. Is this true? It does have the DOT logo on the back (not the Snell). I understand the best protection is a full helmet with shield. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:06 AM
racerdj
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it's not a style show. I guess if I have to visit the emergency room, I'd like the Doctor not to have to deal with my head areas. Both of my Arai Profile helmets have quite a few vents which make it cooler in the hot weather.

Attached Thumbnails Helmet Question-dsc_0646a.jpg   Helmet Question-dsc_0649a.jpg  
Old 05-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I've got an Arai Profile (DOT & Snell) too, really comfortable helmet. Also have an HD half helmet (DOT), and look like a mushroom.

There will never be enough vents to compare a FF to a half in terms of ventilation...the same way the half will never provide face/chin protection of the FF. I've been wearing the half mostly since it's warmed up.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be thankful that you have someone that cares about you enough to want your best. Says a lot.

35% of all impacts in MC helmet crashes are to the chin and face area. This is significant and may be worth considering whenyou buy a helmet.

For me it is full face since day one.........yes I dont look cool like a "real biker" but I like the safety factor. Have ridden with one now for over 70,000 miles including in the middle of the Memphis summer and 110+ heat indexes. YOu get used to the heat (although you will never like it of course)

Good luck on the decision and thank the GF for caring.

But to each his own.

R. Todd

Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Think about the purpose of a helmet. If you have a wreck at say 70 mph or even less you are likely to skid, roll, slide and tumble for a way on some pretty rough, hard, and unyielding asphalt or concrete. During that time your face is likely to come in contact with that surface. Close your eyes and imagine what would happen to your chin, nose and any other exposed area. Guaranteed it ain't gonna be pretty. Next is risk management. How much are you willing to gamble that your aren't going to fall off or be involved in an accident? Then you decide what kind of helmet you want to get and there are lots of arguments both pro and con on helmet types. I personally have always worn 3/4 helmets and have been lucky enough to never have needed protection. Whatever you decide though, be sure the helmet is comfortable and fits well.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:28 AM
sp9997
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many helmets that provides you with top notch saftey and look good and are super comfortable as well.. give it a shot ... be there for people who need you.. I have HJC IS-16 looks good and good ventilation and low road noise ... makes me feel protected..

Old 05-30-2010, 09:10 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've never had a women stupid/crazy enough to tell me what to do and exxpect me to listen. i wear a beanie helmet cause i like how it fits. in reality as far as i am concerned half, 3/4, or ff it dont matter really either your head is gonna be mush or it aint

Old 05-30-2010, 09:18 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by joshso
I've been riding without a helmet...just purchased a 2010 Fatboy Lo. After seeing the engine size of this bike my girlfriend is now demanding I wear a helmet. And before any of you crack any jokes, we all act tough, but it seems our women can really make life difficult if they're not happy, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Question is that I was going to by a half helmet or shorty. After talking to a friend at a dealer he said that they are nothing but novelty items. Is this true? It does have the DOT logo on the back (not the Snell). I understand the best protection is a full helmet with shield. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Were you riding a smaller bike before this Fatty? If so, and she wasn't concerned about the helmet then, go get a non-DOT skid-lid. If you want to get the DOT, then the decision is yours - what's the most comfortable (which really means, "what is the least uncomfortable"), what are you willing to pay, and what will keep her off your back.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:22 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I have an Arai Profile and it's very comfortable with enough vents to keep it cool and I also can crack open the shield a bit for more wind. Not all helmets are shaped the same so get ont to fit your mellon.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:31 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah..it's the size of the engine that determines the outcome of which helmet you need. I read that somewhere. Shoulda bought a bike with an 88" motor and you would'nt have this problem. But no, you hadda get that big engine...

Quick Reply: Helmet Question