General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:38 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Man, never, never, never bring to a subject that you're being pushed into doing something by your lady, you should have said it is your idea to do this, now the can of worms is opened.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:54 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

First off, the dumb *** at the dealer you spoke with needs to be fired. H-D will not allow a factory dealership to knowingly sell a non DOT helmet. Having said that, I have 3 helmets. All are HJC as they fit my head perfectly. My shorty is for slow speed sight seeing use only such as the national parks in UT, Yellowstone in WY, Spearfish Canyon ................ Etc. The 3/4 coverage w/flip shield is for around town, local highway general use here in TX, even in the summer. The full coverage flip-up is for long distance highway use and winter riding. Get one that fits correctly and don't let it become a paper weight ! Oh yeah, please post pics of g/f ............ She sounds like my kind of woman !

Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM
ThrusterK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't really give you an answer since I don't wear a helmet myself. I do have a HD half helmet for when I get caught in the rain, it does a good enough job keeping my head dry. I know, I'm going to get flamed for not wearing a helmet but it's personal choice.. this is still a free country isn't it?

I do always wear a skull cap, that way my brains will all be in one place for the EMT to pickup and not scattered all over.....

Old 05-30-2010, 10:13 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
yeah..it's the size of the engine that determines the outcome of which helmet you need. I read that somewhere. Shoulda bought a bike with an 88" motor and you would'nt have this problem. But no, you hadda get that big engine...
Although there is evidence that estrogen dilutes logic in a human brain, your woman has common sense.

If your head gets squeezed between the road & a bigger engine, it's going to hurt more.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
Although there is evidence that estrogen dilutes logic in a human brain, your woman has common sense.

If your head gets squeezed between the road & a bigger engine, it's going to hurt more.
Depends on which head doesn't it ?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by ThrusterK
I can't really give you an answer since I don't wear a helmet myself. I do have a HD half helmet for when I get caught in the rain, it does a good enough job keeping my head dry. I know, I'm going to get flamed for not wearing a helmet but it's personal choice.. this is still a free country isn't it?

I do always wear a skull cap, that way my brains will all be in one place for the EMT to pickup and not scattered all over.....
read enough of the posts in here about anything relating to helmets, pipes, turn signals, etc. and you'll understand it's all about being a sheeple!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 AM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't ride with a helmet now and you don't care personally, get whatever it is you want, or better yet, don't get one and show her you still have some ***** and you're not some kind of man puppet subjected to her whims.

If you want to get a helmet for yourself, ask yourself why. If Safety is really your concern, get the safest helmet possible. If state law is your concern, get whatever meets the minimal requirements. If between the two, get something between the two.

No one can answer the question for you. Not the ATGATT "we like to pretend we're your mother", not the "Let those who ride decide!" that will tell you a Bandanna is a perfectly acceptable form of protection.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 AM
ThrusterK
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pococj
read enough of the posts in here about anything relating to helmets, pipes, turn signals, etc. and you'll understand it's all about being a sheeple!

"Sheeple" OK, I admit that I had to look that one up

Old 05-30-2010, 03:04 PM
dvmweb
Tourer

I have a HD full faced modular for cooler weather, and a HD 1/2 helmet for really hot weather. If considering Full Face, I'd check out the ones with the extra separate sun visor behind the face shield, cool idea. I didn't know about that when I bought my FF.

BTW I have an ER doctor friend that calls motorcycles in states with no helmet laws "donor cycles." They regularly send their transplant team to Wisconsin from Michigan. Seems a liver or heart doesn't care if you want to wear a helmet or not just so that the organ can get into a live body with a working brain in time!

Old 05-30-2010, 03:52 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Default I really like older non helmet wearers

And, in keeping with the post by dvmweb, I would personally like to thank those that are hard workers, make regular donations to the Social Security fund yet, refuse to wear a helmet. "Thank You !"

Quick Reply: Helmet Question