General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air horns...who's got em?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Just replaced my original Harley airhorn installed when I bought my StreetGlide new. Lasted approximately 12 months of riding (excluding winter layup months). Just quit. Took it back to the Dealer for replacement as it was covered by my 24 months bike warranty since it was installed with the new bike. One week later I am back in the shop with again no horn. Tech calls later in the day to tell me to quit washing my bike so much. Said the relay was all gunked up with green corrosion. I said WTF? I am gonna wash the bike. He said wont be under warranty forever! I suspect the first horn that was replaced was still good and the Tech just replaced it rather than spend the time to find out why it quit. Second time in the shop they decided to find out WHY rather than give me another new horn. When, not if, this second one goes I am done with this horn.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Just replaced my original Harley airhorn installed when I bought my StreetGlide new. Lasted approximately 12 months of riding (excluding winter layup months). Just quit. Took it back to the Dealer for replacement as it was covered by my 24 months bike warranty since it was installed with the new bike. One week later I am back in the shop with again no horn. Tech calls later in the day to tell me to quit washing my bike so much. Said the relay was all gunked up with green corrosion. I said WTF? I am gonna wash the bike. He said wont be under warranty forever! I suspect the first horn that was replaced was still good and the Tech just replaced it rather than spend the time to find out why it quit. Second time in the shop they decided to find out WHY rather than give me another new horn. When, not if, this second one goes I am done with this horn.
Use some dielectric grease on that relay. It should help. They're only about $6 to replace yourself. If you like the horn, don't give up on a little maintainence every now and then.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is an old thread.......but any excuse to post a pic.....Origonal Mini Beast,Stock horn x 5

Last edited by HD7585; 08-21-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mini-beast

Old 08-21-2011, 07:34 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Recently installed the Stebel Nautilis horn. Scared a bunch of friends so I guess it works.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Saphira
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I intend to purchase the Beast mini. It received great reviews, 3 year warranty if you purchase from the manufacturer, and is loud 118-139 db.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Biker Chad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wolo Bad Boy horns are crappy don't bother, you get what you pay for. RIVCO has the AHHD (128db air horn in chrome) and the AHHDBK (128db airhorn in black) they offer a two year warranty on them and their air horns are all metal.
RIVCO also offers a 118db eletric horn set these sound more like a loud car horn (I like these the most) part number ELCHRN. You need to purchase a sold seperatly wiring kit that is specific to your bike to make the install almost all plug and play (like part number EH275) this wiring kit allows you to mount one horn under the stock cow bell and the other where the engine guard mounts to the frame on the lower left side (yes, even with lowers). AHHD/AHHDBK MSRP for $199.95, ELCHRN and wiring kit of your choice about $120.00. The ELCHRN are chromed plastic. I have had a set of them on my Street Bob for 5 years with no issues.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
jrr
Cruiser

Ordered the Metal Arts Retro short trumpet horn. It arrived as promised (a couple of days late) and did not disappoint. It is a quality item and looks terrific on my 2010 Heritage. It is loud. It can be installed directly to the existing horn wiring unless you own an older bike. I decided to wire it trough a relay (included) just to be safe and the installation was still pretty easy. If I can do it, anyone can.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jrr
Ordered the Metal Arts Retro short trumpet horn. It arrived as promised (a couple of days late) and did not disappoint. It is a quality item and looks terrific on my 2010 Heritage. It is loud. It can be installed directly to the existing horn wiring unless you own an older bike. I decided to wire it trough a relay (included) just to be safe and the installation was still pretty easy. If I can do it, anyone can.
Where are the pics?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Big D Harley
Cruiser

My stock horn lasted a year and a half. Bought the louder Harley plastic horn,it lasted a year. It was loud, better replacement except short life span. Got the mini beast, louder and has lasted almost 2 years now. All metal, easy install.

Quick Reply: Air horns...who's got em?