General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air horns...who's got em?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Jambon1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are popular in trucks around here. I'm sure someone will find a way to rig one to their bike but the pice is a little high for me.

http://www.hornblasters.com/

Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
straitshot151
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Howards .bought them from harley a few years ago.About 130.00 .They work good and an easy install on my heritage.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Truckbizz
Account Deactivated

I have a buddy with a wholo bad boy, very loud!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jambon1
These are popular in trucks around here. I'm sure someone will find a way to rig one to their bike but the pice is a little high for me.

http://www.hornblasters.com/
I won't say impossible but to put a decent size tank on a bike you'd have to lose a saddlebag or two. I have the 5gal tank welded to the passenger side frame of my truck and that thing is huge. The amp draw gets kinda high also when trying to fill that tank. It isn't a 10 second fill up.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:11 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 98 Likes on 41 Posts

There are a lot of air horns on the market. I wanted something compact. I didn't want the trumpets.

Their sounds are wide varying. I didn't want something that sounded like a french cop or a 66 volkswagon on steroids. I finally found a link where I could hear different horns.

I went with the Harley.

It will scare the bejesus out of anything around you. Sounds like a semi coming at you. Loud doesn't always get it. People know what a semi horn sounds like.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

howards horns seem to always have fitment issues.
their isolator bushings suck bag.
they are loud however.
the moco makes one that is just is loud and fits better.
looks better too.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:20 AM
BBBSS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pdfiddler
With the good big horns the compressor has to be big. To big for a motor bike.
Agreed. I had a true 21 1/2" grover air horn on my excursion with a homemade air supply setup. Used a firestone air suspension air pump sourced from any junkyard car, and twin 1 gallon air tanks from the local lowrider shop. I'd hate to support such a place in any way, but they'll stock em and have exactly what you need. Used I believe 3/8" air brake hose from a local semi truck repair shop, and used a tiny NOS brand nitrous oxide solenoid to control the airflow. The pump had a built in pressure switch so all I needed was 12V to the air pump, and a momentary switch for the nitrous solenoid. The 2 gallon tank gave me about 7-8 seconds of solid semi-truck air horn sound, then it started to taper off over the next 15 or so seconds. Took about minute and a half to refill the tanks after a good healthy blast.

As was said though, you probably won't be able to put something like this on a bike, at least not without being very creative, and it probably will look kinda crazy.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 AM
jrr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wlbowers
... I finally found a link where I could hear different horns...
The suspense is killing me...

Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I went with the Harley air horn. Nice loud horn. Had dealer install on my new bike along with a chit load of other stuff. Didnt realize it was chrome plated PLASTIC until I got the bike home. Moral: Check before you buy! So far am satisfied with it but I have read here that the horn does not hold up to vibration long term. Time will tell.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 PM
PCJack
6th Gear
Default My reply - WOLO

Hey, I never heard any reply on what you used. I have had several WOLO black colored ones on different bikes (mounted inside the sport bike shrouding) and even went as far as putting my old black one on my wife's van when I upgraded my riding style (some say I graduated, LOL) to my '08 Ultra and needed a chrome looking one, so I bought another WOLO Bad Boy, but in chrome. The one thing I must say about the WOLO is that I managed to find a way to make it fit the original Harley horn mounting without having to fabricate a mount plate like others may have had to do. If this is still an uncompleted project for you, I can post a few pics of my setup. The horn was only $40, lots less than the Harley one!

I noticed that someone posted a problem with the chrome coming off, mine is two years old last month and no chrome issues here. One thing I have had happen is the O ring between the compressor and the chrome trumpets (just makes a buzzing sound as the air escapes), never did that on my black ones . It may be a newer design or something, my old black ones never did this, but the fix quite simple. The compressor locks into a couple plastic nubs on the horn assembly, I just pulled it out and put a fine bead of silicone on it, never leaked air again.

My two cents.....
-J

Quick Reply: Air horns...who's got em?