General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOCO news from York, Pa Daily Newspaper

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:55 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

"the other american motorcycle" victory is closing one of its plants and doing sub asembly in mexico.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Teardrop
Well I hate to break the bad news to you but that 2010 Ultra Classic you just purchased is made with all kinds of different parts that were outsourced or made outside the good ole USA..........
And don't forget: where do the bulk of the items in the P&A catalog come from?

Old 05-30-2010, 05:31 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
"the other american motorcycle" victory is closing one of its plants and doing sub asembly in mexico.
Victory MC is staying in the USA. They are moving the Polaris ATV line to Mexico. Same company, different product line.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:42 AM
SinisterSnake
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't really say it's suprising. I'd love a NEW Harley, I have a steady income, and the money to do so. But, I can't bring myself to spend $20k on a bike. I paid that for a Mustang GT demo car a few years ago. How can the cost be similar? I just don't get where the money is on a bike...

Old 05-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterSnake
I can't really say it's suprising. I'd love a NEW Harley, I have a steady income, and the money to do so. But, I can't bring myself to spend $20k on a bike. I paid that for a Mustang GT demo car a few years ago. How can the cost be similar? I just don't get where the money is on a bike...
Well clearly it isn't in the bike - it's just the price they can get away with charging. As MoCo dealers generally don't discount heavily this comes back in re-sale values compared to other bike makes

Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 AM
PAYogi
6th Gear

Yep chalk another one up for the Unions. They command high wages and benefits that companies can't afford. Threaten strikes which cripple a companies bottom line and then they complain or "don't understand" when the company moves to areas with cheap labor and people that are just thankful to have a job.

It's simple math!

Harley has been outsourcing a lot of its parts for a long time. Electronics, fuel systems, seats and leather, Almost all of the chrome bits in the catalog, oh and lets not forget the V-Rod!

Look on the bright side. when the unions completely kill off any American Manufacturing and we become a third world nation like China, Mexico and India, those previous third worlders will want to relocate their manufacturing to the US for "cheap Labor".

Don't get me wrong, I love my '09 RG, I just cannot understand why people complain when a company does what it has to do to survive when the people who work for that company don't want to help it stay in place so they can have a job.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:22 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

I will tell you that the money Harley charges for their new bikes is reasonable to me. They are fine machines that last forever and ever with proper maintenance. You wanna see a rediculously expensive bike check out the so called new "Indians." Those new bikes command an outlandish price in excess of $36,000 dollars! MORE than the MoCo charges for a topl of the line CVO Ultra. And you think Harley charges too much for their bikes?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterSnake
Lol - friendly busting of chops here, just looked at your profile. I dont know where all the money is in the postal system either!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Televisions, radios (all electronics), refrigerators (most appliances), and a large percentage of whatever else, vehicles and such just look at the history manufacturing is not a growth industry for the USA.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 AM
BuzzHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when working on my 2007 FLHTCU i noticed that the stock speakers have a sticker on them "made in china". This is not a Made in America Bike it's more like Assembled in America...

Quick Reply: MOCO news from York, Pa Daily Newspaper