General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get a guardian bell it could save you this head ache.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM
ken b
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get a guardian bell it could save you this head ache.

So I took my bike in for it's 25K service today. All went well except my service guy broke my guardian bell off the bottom of my bike. No biggy, I have another that was given to me at home waiting to go on.

On the way home with no bell I ran over a HUGE bolt (see Picture below). Now I don't have road hazard insurance on those tires. Obviously it's toast. Tomorrow I will have the bike taken to my Dealer and see what this is going to cost me. I'm afraid the inside of the rim could be damaged if the bolt is long enough. Worse case I talk to the insurance company and it should be under comprehensive.

Here’s the legal question and do I need a lawyer? Here's the thing, the intersection this happened at is notorious for these road barriers getting hit by cars and the bolts breaking. So many have been replaced, lately the City has just ignored them. So there is debris all over the place to include these bolts from broken barriers. I believe in my heart the city is neglectful in this case and should be liable for the bike and any repairs. Any Lawyers able to chime in on this?
Either way I am sure I’ll lose but is it worth a shot?

Also Moral of the story, never ride without a guardian bell. I wasn't superstitious about it till today. Just to weird.

Bolt in Tire

Typical debris

Intersection

Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint it black, and call it a plug...

Just kiddin! You need to check on local law. I think most municipalities have it so that a problem has to be reported prior to an incident. Like pot holes, if you cannot get proof that it's existence has not yet been reported to the municipality, then it is treated as a new pot hole. Don't know if your cituation falls under same policy...

Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Sue their ***** off and maby they will name that section of road after you...Just a thought.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

If that is a 16" tire, let me know what you want for it, without the bolt, lmao.

Seriously, I am not afraid of a tire if it has an inside patch, as long as it isn't on the sidewall area.

It is strange to pickup that large a bolt. Usually they will be flat, and you will just launch them like a bullet!

Glad it didn't fail catastrophically on ya. That is the main thing.

Ride safe. RD.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to look at the hole but most likely I'd plug/patch it and run it out too.

Is that the Blue Diamond Highway in Las Vegas? Phoenix?

Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

sorry but the bell is not the all safety net.... IMO....

Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

I now have to of them hanging low on each side of the bike.. when I turn either direction they drag the ground ringing their little bell hearts out... Gremlins can't stand it and jump right the hell off the bike. .... but I'm still screwed our of my luck though... I didn't send out that text I was supposed to send to at least 5 people to receive my good luck and keep away bad luck.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dam. ive patched a couple of smaller holes in tires, caused by nails, but i have never patched anything that big.

im pretty skeptical that it can be done well. yeah, i get that you would use an inside patch, but look at the size of the bolt in the second picture. if that is the same size bolt that is sticking in the guys tire, then i think it's a write off.

as for the bell, well, it's a cutesy tradition that some people feel obligated to participate in but it seems like a silly superstition. im just not much for have extra stuff ratting around on my bike if i can help it.

Last edited by dogtownmax; 05-28-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Most of that hole will close up. I would use a large inside patch, maybe a softening agent on the inside for a few minutes. I would like that tire, if the price is right! No guarantee expected, lmao. Seriously. RD.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:19 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
sorry but the bell is not the all safety net.... IMO....
Yes it is and if I were the OP I would tell the Dealer that they caused it by breaking my bell and they should replace the tire for free and cover any other damage or problems I might have for as long as I own the bike.

LONG LIVE THE BELL!!!!!

Quick Reply: Get a guardian bell it could save you this head ache.