General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It happened again..."I didn't see him"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:03 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn Stro sorry to hear it....Surely there will be an investigation and they will be checking for cell phone/texting.

Ruined two young men's lives......

Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My condolences Stroh. We hear of this happening to many times, way to often. One thing that I have picked up on as both a former truck driver and a current motorcycle rider are the blind spots that are created by the A pillars of a vehicle, any vehicle. For those not certain of what an A pillar is, it is the piece of steel which forms the frame and support for your windshield. Sitting still in a parking lot or your driveway look both ways, left and right and notice the blind spot created by the A-pillar. Now imagine how much that blind spot increases as the distance between you and an oncoming vehicle increases or decreases. Now stop and think------if you come to a complete stop at an intersection the object within the blind area will pass thru it becoming visable and will enable it to be noticed thereby preventing an accident. No this won't bring the many accidents and the victims of the same back but if we come to a complete stop at intersections and look, it gives us time to see oncoming traffic as it passes thru the blind spots as well as letting our minds register what our eyes have seen.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM
RCB
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts and Prayers to Ryan's family and friends. R.I.P. Ryan

Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by teedubya
My condolences Stroh. We hear of this happening to many times, way to often. One thing that I have picked up on as both a former truck driver and a current motorcycle rider are the blind spots that are created by the A pillars of a vehicle, any vehicle. For those not certain of what an A pillar is, it is the piece of steel which forms the frame and support for your windshield. Sitting still in a parking lot or your driveway look both ways, left and right and notice the blind spot created by the A-pillar. Now imagine how much that blind spot increases as the distance between you and an oncoming vehicle increases or decreases. Now stop and think------if you come to a complete stop at an intersection the object within the blind area will pass thru it becoming visable and will enable it to be noticed thereby preventing an accident. No this won't bring the many accidents and the victims of the same back but if we come to a complete stop at intersections and look, it gives us time to see oncoming traffic as it passes thru the blind spots as well as letting our minds register what our eyes have seen.
Exelent post! As a former truck and bus driver myself, I draw on the training and experience that I received to make myself a better rider by anticipating what the other guy is doing and to make myself as defensive as possible when I ride.

My condolences to the OP on this tragic loss.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:22 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My sincere condolences

Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's hard to believe that motorcycles are invisible so often.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:29 AM
drifter27011
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can there be so many blind drivers on the roads?
Sorry for your lost.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

WOW...sad deal for you & their family. I was just on that same patch of road Tuesday delivering some DoD donated computers to Audubon HS. Pretty open area so there should've been no excuses. Hate hearing these stories on both sides (driver & victim) b/c it's tragic for all. My condolences to you & the family of this young rider.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
sadly , not a chance in hell that's going to happen

Stro... sorry to you and your family for your loss
Unfortunately you are correct, traffic laws suck here in Iowa. Suspended sentence is the worst that will happen.

Bummer to hear this Stro.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 AM
poppa steve
Advanced

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Didn't see him because he wasn't looking. Bunch of crap. They better charge him with no less than vehicular homicide.
Thats exactly what it is. When people pull up to a corner or intersection it's usually a quick glance left, right then go. They are looking for a car not even thinking about a motorcycle. Every time I see someone waiting to pull out onto a road from anywhere my a$$ puckers up wondering if they really see me. I don't trust the making eye contact stuff. My prayers go out to the family. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: It happened again..."I didn't see him"