General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First group ride in a while

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:38 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default First group ride in a while

First group ride in a while and it was not too bad except for a few knuckleheads (not the engine) that decided to break formation and make it unsafe because they were unstaggered and riding in the far left side of the lane. When we stopped I told them to either stagger or leave the formation. Which they finally did leave. Some people think it is a race instead of a group ride. We even watched the MSF group ride video the day before. It reminded me why I normally ride alone or with a few friends. We did a memorial ride for our fallen comrades here at Fort Drum and it was in conjunction with our DIV safety day. It was explained to everyone how the formation would be and how to stagger but there are always that 10% that do not pay attention or just do not care. Other than the few knuckleheads it was a good ride and we had around 250 bikes by what the event coordinator said. Sounded pretty good and it was a mix of bikes and people of all ages and riding skills. We all completed the ride in one piece with no incidents.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote: it was a mix of bikes and people of all ages and riding skills. We all completed the ride in one piece with no incidents.
May be the reason for your issues with those Knuckleheads.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Exactly! There were a lot of young riders on sport bikes that were the knuckleheads. The rest of us old people on our harleys were just enjoying the ride and maintaining distance and spacing. There were a few young ones riding by me that were doing the right thing but for the most part the young ones on sport bikes were the problem. You want to mentor them but you know they won't listen.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't give up. There are RC's all over with people who are mostly safety minded and decent folk, if not usually older riders, but not always.
My bigger complaint with small groups is those who spread out the formation and allow traffic in or keep getting caught by lights.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I enjoy group rides but particular who I ride with ... Boneheads and I don't ride together long .. Won't insult a classic Bike in a Harley Forum calling them knuckleheads...

Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every group ride has someone like that, they're late getting there, they lag behind, they run a race, they ride your ****, they drift in the lane, slow down, speed up, cant set a pace, they rev the engine at stops, no matter what there's always someone like that there.

I prefer small groups of people I've ridden with before and generally know what to expect from them.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:03 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not done a group ride in 2 years, not because of the knuckleheads, just because Momma and I make our group of two just fine.

But have been on enough to remember a) it is fun and exhilarating to be part of a large, smooth running pack and b) there are bozo's in every event that just don't get it and jeopardize the run.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are a usually a party of two, BUT for the second time we were guests at a Goldwing Rally in the Okanagan Valley in BC. where they organized group rides threw out the long weekend. We were nervous of the risks of group riding but they broke us into units of 10 for the day trips, including a nicely (safely) organized parade. They were terrific hosts and welcomed our Harley but still like going off on our own better!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I'm down to one group ride, a big toy run, per year! Just don't care any more to ride with that 10% group of buttheads.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the big group rides either. I think there's a lot of "riders" out there that only ride on the big poker runs. No thanks, I'll cruise with a few of my close friends, but that's it.

Quick Reply: First group ride in a while