General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Less about the fashion police, more about comfort over time..

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:48 PM
arsenal21
Advanced

Well I just inherited my bike from an uncle who passed a few years ago. Luckily he wore the same size of gear. I have 2 Harley Davidson helmets, 1 Very Nice Harley leather jacket, 2 pairs of harley gloves, a H-D rain gear set, and also got about 15 H-D t-shirts. I've got no problem wearing H-D gear, but it is not the only gear I wear when riding the bike. The bike pretty much speaks for it self.

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:50 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Interesting. I think the desire to not own HD gear because "it's HD gear" is as silly as the desire to buy anything with HD plastered on it. To have a default behavior/reaction such as, "I'm never going to", or "I'm always going to".... when talking about such simple things in life like clothing... is simply retarded to me.

When I travel outside of my home area I like to get HD t-shirts from the locations I visit. I don't seek out the t-shirts that have flames and tribal all over it with skulls and ****. I look for the ones that represent that area.

Examples are when I rode out to Maryland last year I purchased an HD t-shirt in Ocean City Maryland that had a big *** sword fish on the back and the dealership name nice and small down in the water. That area of Maryland is known for seafood... fishing.... etc.

When I rode to Gettysburg Pennsylvania and toured the battlefields, Gettysburg HD had some t-shirts with battlefield scenes on the back representing the battle years ago in that area.

When I rode to the New England area I've got t's with a big ole lobster on the back...

From Minnesota I have a nice t-shirt with a few Walleye on the back (fishing scene)...

...on and on....

So yeah I like to pick up t-shirts that remind me of the things the area is famous for... That's not all I wear..... they're not uniforms they're just stinkin' t-shirts fellas.

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:52 PM
Lippi
Advanced

Harley already has $30K from me. I'll buy their shirts when they start reimbursing me for free adverstisement.

Old 05-27-2010 | 03:03 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

All of my 37 HD t-shirts are second-hand. The only HD Jacket I have is also pre-owned. I've always been of the opinion that one of the reasons people wear a brand name product is because they are supporters of that product. We already know what the other reasons are. Unfortunately in this case most everything we buy with HD on it is made somewhere else. I guess the question that should be ask, is HD products practical and or functional. From a subjective view point, an HD jacket or t-shirt is functional if the person wearing it is convinced that it serve his or her purpose.

The same question could be ask about Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Is a Harley as practical or as functional (high mileage) as other motorcycles for the same investment?

Wyde Glyde Bry, you're a wise man. That's what I'm talking about!

Last edited by shortride; 05-27-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2010 | 03:04 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Default My progression seems backwards.

When I first bought my Harley, I had no plans of buying any of their gear or clothing. I did get one of their helmets but that was given to me as part of the sale since I would not ride without one and I did not own one up to that point. For a few weeks I wore my garage jacket, my Dickies work gloves, my Craftsman work boots, the H-D helmet they gave me and a $16 pair of Crossfire brand goggles. I then bought me a proper leather jacket with padding made by ICON and also some ICON gloves.

Later on I did buy one of their hats (because it was on sale).

Now that I have been riding for nearly two years I appreciate being comfortable and feeling protected and I will buy what ever gear I feel best provides that for me. My riding gear now consists of the same ICON jacket and gloves (best leather EVER), some Street and Steel Heavy duty chaps with removable liner for colder weather or light rain, a $15 pair of Gore-Tex lined boots that picked up at the flea market, my H-D helmet that was given to me at the dealer and another pair of $16 Crossfire glasses. I also almost always wear a $1 bandanna covering my face. For the Florida rainy season I bought a Harley Gore-Tex rain suit but only after trying a number of other brands and finding that it was the most comfortable and easy to get in and out of and only after the dealer sold it to me for 30% off of retail! It was still pricey ($300) but worth EVERY single penny as it keeps me bone dry it the heaviest of downpours. I also have two H-D hats and two or three of their shirts. In all cases, I've never given a damn what anyone else might think about what I ride or what I wear or don't wear. When other people start making my Harley payments or start buying my clothes and gear, then maybe I will start listening to their opinions.

Old 05-27-2010 | 03:15 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the OP was asking if we've changed what we wear over the years because a lot of new riders are zealous about wearing HD logo when they first get a Harley. I find this to be more of a thing today then when I started riding, because about the only HD logo wear when I started might be a dealer t-shirt. I don't recall the boutiques starting up until maybe the mid 80's, even early 90's. To me there is nothing wrong with wearing HD wear, hell, wear what you want. My thing is whatever works and is the best price. I can usually find the same or better quality at a lower price if I'm willing to give up the logo, and I am willing to give that up to save money.

Old 05-27-2010 | 03:35 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

I've never been into wearing the logo stuff, but there's a lot of good looking biker leather out there without it. Haven't made the jump to comfort yet.

Lisa

Old 05-27-2010 | 03:36 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

I wear what I want - a lot of it says Harley and some doesn't. But then, I am one of those who has been on Harleys for a long time (30 years) and wearing your Harley gear was more of a badge of honor back then than a fashion statement like it is today. Riding Harleys wasn't easy back then. I never grew out of it so I just keep dressing like I always have and hope that the "biker chic" goes out of style some day.

Old 05-27-2010 | 03:41 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lippi
Harley already has $30K from me. I'll buy their shirts when they start reimbursing me for free adverstisement.
I'll admit I have a hat and a couple of Ts with HD crap on them. Isn't it amazing how we have been sucked in to doing their advertising for them?

What genius! Let's see, let's put our logo and advertising crap on T shirts and charge a premium for them to our customers. That way the customer will think it is a privilege to wear our name. Talk about bang for your advertising buck!

HD isn't the only one! Look in your shirt drawer!

How many $40 Ts do you have.

Old 05-27-2010 | 05:57 PM
Ironhand
Road Master

well, i own several tee shirts from harley and most likely will buy several more. I wear them and sometimes i dont. It really doesnt matter to me what a damn tee shirt says or whos name is on it. it is just a tee shirt. i will wear what ever stikes my fancy that morning. the greatest thing that noone really gives two ***** and a holler what anyone wears, well some do but who really cares about them? Way to many on here think they must slam HD or other riders who do what they wish and dont conform to the bullshit that runs rampent on this site

Quick Reply: Less about the fashion police, more about comfort over time..