General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Less about the fashion police, more about comfort over time..

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010 | 01:35 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master

It's not an all or nothing thing. My rule is...one piece of HD clothing at a time. I stick to it and it allows me to wear my HD t-shirts without worrying about looking like a walking HD billboard. That said, I still prefer to wear shirts from events or bars (as long as I rode to the event or the bar).

Old 05-27-2010 | 01:38 PM
rpj181
Intermediate

I used to laugh at my friend that rode Harley's and would wear the Harley OUTFIT. I will admit that after purchasing my first Harley I found my self buying the cothing.

Old 05-27-2010 | 01:44 PM
JohnT
Road Master

Function and comfort over all else. It seems everyone goes through the Harley clothing fascination when they buy their first Harley, but most soon get over it. I did, however, see a group of Harley riders and their SOs in Solvang, CA yesterday—some with new bikes, some with older bikes—that looked like a traveling Harley fashion show. I was riding with my usual group of Harley, Wing, BMW, and Ducati riders, so we represented the opposite side of the dress-up equation. But whatever! We were having a good time, and they were too. Who's to judge?

Old 05-27-2010 | 01:46 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

I used to buy the tee shirts from HD, and have a few. Now, I just buy plain black Hanes Beefy tees, if I can find them. (made in the USA) Other than the HD tees I already have, I don't ride around as a "billboard" for Harley. I will need some new rain gear soon, and the HD rain gear seems to be the best I have found, so I will probably get that.

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:02 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

I started out thirty five years ago wearing boots of whatever make I had at the time, jeans (usually Levi or Wrangler), whatever t-shirt I picked up. Really for me the only logo wear I have is some t-shirts collected over the years for one reaason or another and my rain suit, the rest is not from H-D. Never cared what it said, it's always been about function first, comfort second, brand, DEAD LAST, I really don't care about the brand. Oh yeah, I can feel the flame coming, but I usually don't bother to look where it was made either, that's just me.

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:15 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Me all about function

Wrangler Jeans
Under Amour for winter
Long Sleeve Carhartt Shirts all year around
Wesco Boots
Langlitz Jacket
HD Rains suit when I am down south

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:15 PM
DeluxeCruiser
Tourer

I wear a lot of Harley clothing. I am proud to own my Harley and proud to wear my Harley gear. I don't look up or down to whatever anyone else wants to wear. In addition I don't care what anyone else thinks about what I like to wear. I say wear want you want.

DC

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:24 PM
P47
Tourer

Why would you think HD gear is not comfortable. When I bought my Bob three years ago I took my store credit and bought boots, jeans, belt, jacket, helmet and gloves. 15,000 miles later it is still in great shape and comfortable. It's great riding gear. The only thing I did not buy was a HD T-shirt, but I've been given a few.

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:27 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Only "Harley Gear" I buy is the t-shirts that have pinup girls on them. It's all about the pinup girl and nothing about the Harley.

Old 05-27-2010 | 02:44 PM
Ottercycle
2nd Gear

i went thru the HD clothes phase as well as HD bling for the bike. HD marketing is very catchy and i was really excited, and admit to being a bit insecure. woke up one morning and said "wth am i doing?" took back control of my brain and now the bike is blacked out, more comfy, and so are my clothes - carharrt jeans and shirts, Fieldsheer mesh jacket for summer, North Face softshell under that if its cold.

Quick Reply: Less about the fashion police, more about comfort over time..