General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ride for the speed??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I don't ride for speed. Used to ride inline 4 cyl. bikes for speed. My HD just can't compete with that. BUT I'm not into speed at all now and the Harley is a much nicer CRUISER. Seen too many go down, usually from excessive speed (although not always.) I guess I'm getting old!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 PM
TxMongrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5-10 mph over, if it' safe. On I-10W just past Kerrville, the Speed limit is 80 mph during daylight. Of course that means everyone, including 18 wheelers, goes 90-95. That's one place I actually keep it below or at 80 and let everyone pass. Been seeing alot more Tx DPS Troopers pulling vehicles over lately.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:09 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to be a speed demon when I was young. I have been a truck driver for most of the last 30 years and can't risk a ticket now days. I have one on my record right now for 15 over. I normally stay no more then 5 over. I open it up once in a great while out in the desert. I ride everyday and am being passed all day long around here. Then again i see people getting pulled over all the time too.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I ride for the enjoyment and that means I only do the limit. It is more relaxing and enjoyable.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:46 PM
jlfabian
Tourer

When I had a Kawasaki Ninja liter class sportbike, I rode fast. The bike was very fast, and though I probably never had it beyond 140 mph, it was capable of it.

Now I ride a Rode King and it's fast enough, but I usually ride the speed limit or real close to it. My main enjoyment with my bike is riding/cruising. I also ride with some others and they usually go the speed limit as well. I will only use speed to keep myself safe. I will also use stop to keep my self safe. I plan on riding a long time.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
h2o
Road Captain

I was never into speed on a bike. I understand that some are but that's not my thing. I know of too many people that have become road kill because of speed. I like cruising, that's why I like cruisers but I understand there are different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foodog
Don't know why people are in such a hurry all the time. At or just above the speed limit is fine for me although like everyone else, if the time and conditions are right and safe I'll crank it up for a bit just to get the adrenalin going.
For me it isn't about being in a hurry. It is when I am in a 35 mph zone... my sporty just doesn't want to be going 35. She is far more comfortable at 45 or greater. So I have to be really careful around town. Other than that I am around 5 or 10 over on the freeway. I don't think my baby does much over 90 mph anyway...

Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

55 in a 35mph on backroads may sound fast, but it really isn't. Speed limits are set waaay low for revenue and for the bottom of the barrel stupid drivers. I'm talking about the REALLY bad drivers. Society always is quick to bring us all down to the bottom instead of making the low come up.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:28 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Their NUTs..................................

Haven't drove/rildden 45 yrs without a ticket for no reason...

Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the responses! Its actually stressfull riding with these guys. Especially in the backroads because when you are riding 50 in a 35 in the twisties, almost every turn is blind and you have to set them all up. On the highway its a little different but still.. riding 90+ in a 55-65 zone is just too fast for me.
We also have a very tough time on group rides because out of 50 bikes there are usually 10+ that insist on hammering the throttle. It ALWAYS turns into a game of catch up or catch me if you can. When I bring up my concerns I get shot down and hear the comments that I ride too slow or you only live once. I am never under the speed limit unless its raining out. I am usually about 10 over on the back roads and 10-15 over on the highway. I just don't feel comfortable going 25+ over on the backroads and 25+ over on the highway. Its very dangerous in the backroads because we can rarely see the other side of the turns and when traveling 25+ over the limit I am always nervous that there could be something dangerous on the other side like a broken down car or a fallen tree limb or something like that.
I actually need to find an entire new group to ride with. We always seem to be finding new people to ride with season after season and I think the reason is that many of the people we meet will go on one ride and when they see how fast and unforgiving the group is they bail out. These guys will leave you in the dust anywhere at any time. If you can't hang with the speed you will be left flat.
I think I am going to stick to riding with my wife alone. We always have a good time.
Its ashame though because personally.. I really like these guys. I just don't like their riding habits. At 48, with about 25K miles under my belt total, I am not riding for the speed.

Quick Reply: Do you ride for the speed??