General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ride for the speed??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't ride for the speed I ride for the feeling of the wind, the smell of freshly cut grass, flowers and the shear fun of feeling wind on my face. about 5 over is as much as I like to do anywhere but must admit I have cranked it up on the interstate when needed to get somewhere in emergency.

In short, I ride for the pleasure of being one with the bike and following where the road leads. It's not about the destination, it's about the jouorney. If you're zipping past stuff you will miss a memory or an experience. It's about the road less traveled rather thn being a lemming on an interstate, headed somewhere to stand in line

Bub

Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, got that stuff out of my system when I was younger riding dirt bikes. I still wail on it it occasionally when the time and place is right but I'm happy just being out cruising along.

Most people like to see how fast they can quarter mile, I like to see how long I can milk it.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:09 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,002 Likes on 753 Posts

If I'm in a big hurry, I will take my car. Don't need to take unnecessary risks on the bike, it's risky enough taking it easy. The first Harley I bought was an 883, and I did that for the purpose of slowing myself down and enjoy the ride. It worked, I adjusted to ride close to the limit, sometimes a little over.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I ride for peace of mind and to relax and my speed is also determined by the condition of the road that I am on. In other words, each has their own idea of what is fun to them and I just say, each to his/her own on how they want to ride.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't know why people are in such a hurry all the time. At or just above the speed limit is fine for me although like everyone else, if the time and conditions are right and safe I'll crank it up for a bit just to get the adrenalin going.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:20 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I usually keep it within the 5-10 mph over the speed limit, depending on the road and the type of speed limit enforcement for that area. Now, on a rural road with no traffic, I have to admit I have pegged the speedometer a couple of times over the years.......but I am done with that now.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:25 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm in no big hurry when I ride. Just take in the sensations of the bike, the sound, the wind. But I don't just putt along either. Usually 65 -75 on the backroads and highways depending on the headwinds. That's where the bike feels the best. I have wound it out when being on the right road and got a wild hair up my azz but this bike has about the same aerodynamics as a brick so I'll slow it back down pretty quickly and remember that my black pig is not made for that.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,062 Likes on 1,531 Posts

I find if I keep it less than 10 over I can ride for a long time.

Faster than that wears me down quicker.

Very seldom ride faster than 80 mph, just doesn't do it for me.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 PM
wkdayridr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I typically ride about 10 mph over, just like most everyone. It is nice to crank it up every once in awhile though, just to get the rush going.

Was riding through the White Mountains heading to Laconia a few years back...group of eight bikes. One guy decides to give it some gas and go for a fast run.....as usual, the whole group did the same. Result? 8 bikes..safely spaced out....but running around 95-100 mph through the beautiful twists and turns of the mountains.

Rode like that for about 3-4 minutes just to get it out of our system. JUST AS SOON as we had slowed back to the limit, we rolled over the crest of a hill to find a stop sign. We had the choice to turn either left or right....straight ahead was a guard rail followed by a nice steep hillside. Thank God we slowed down....

Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stay with the flow of traffic which in the mornings is usually 75 - 85 mph. Faster than that and I'm really uncomfortable. In the car and on the bike it is really hard not to break the speed limits. Not by a lot but 35 feels too slow. Again, if I'm in traffic, I match the traffic there too.

Lisa

Quick Reply: Do you ride for the speed??