General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your woman on her own bike..how do ya feel about it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:18 AM
Ernest_poteat
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be nervous at first, men are the "protectors" an it is hard for us to do that on another bike. Though mine is getting a sportster when I get back from afghanistan. I personally can't wait for her to get it because, I really don't like passengers, I ride for me, not for whoever is on the back.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:33 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We only put on 161 miles yesterday but....
1st time she has had a passenger (adult daughter returned to roost temporarily) while on her new 07 RKC. Our last leg of the trip was Oatman to Kingman, AZ coming through those 118 curves down the mountain. Me with a new tour pak on my RKC and a 16 y/o niece visiting who thankfully turned out to be a good passenger.

So thankfully it was pretty light traffic on old 66 coming out of Oatman as we are both two-up, coming down the twisty's with me in the lead making sure in my mirrors she is doing OK behind me. She did great but I let out a big as soon as we hit Cool Springs at the bottom.

She has now made a nice progression over the last 6 years. Beginner out of MSF riding (dropping) a too big 86 Shadow, to a very good solo rider on a heavy metric cruiser to a 2-up rider on an 07 HD Road King.

I still look in the mirrors a lot though.............

Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 AM
pugs
Tourer

+1 on that. Finally got my wife agree to take msf course.

Originally Posted by toastman
dude i want my girl on her own bike SO badly.

every time we find ourselves on the couch i nonchalantly pull up craigs list and go "oh, check out this nice sporty for $X"

i'd be nervous at first but she's the type that keeps at something until she's good.

if i ever get her on a bike she'll be the one pulling at my shirtsleeves to go on a ride or to follow her to the parking lot to practice

Old 05-30-2010, 11:04 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrior Redleg
i feel myself checking the mirror less and less to ensure she is ok. It was so bad when she first started that i watched behind me more than in front of me.
i always have my wife ride in front of me for this reason, and also so she can set the pace at whatever speed she feels comfortable at for the road conditions. she's been riding for 8 years now, and i still like her in front.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 AM
DeckerDude
Road Master

My woman has no interest in riding her own bike which is fine with me...She rides two up as often as she can and loves it!!!!!! She also has nice Ti....

Old 05-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Plasteredcat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt so good about it i made mine a one up !

Old 05-30-2010, 01:57 PM
hiplainsheritage2
Advanced

My wife rides her own, and I really like riding with her. I am always amazed at how many women come over to talk to her about riding her own.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:43 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Women don't belong on bikes!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:03 PM
KnightWRX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by badwhine
Women don't belong on bikes!
Sometimes, from all the replies here, I get the feeling most people think this way.

Seriously, you guys nervous about your wives and GFs on bikes, are you as nervous about your buddies on bikes ? Do you "check the mirrors" as often for a guy as you do for your wife ?

For all we know, your wives probably ride better than most of you do. Women aren't worse drivers than men, get over the 50s mentality. Things like "I bought her a 250 Rebel to start with". Geez, did you start on a 250 rebel ?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:22 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

My wife wanted to learn to ride, so she took thw MSF course, & I bought her a Honda Rebel to practice on.... She put 61 miles on it before she changed her mind...

Quick Reply: your woman on her own bike..how do ya feel about it?