General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your woman on her own bike..how do ya feel about it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend kept telling me how she had to sell her Sporty when she was married because they needed the money to pay the mortgage. She CLAIMED she knew how to ride. I bought her a Sporty like her old bike. She went through the MSF course and got her license back. The trouble is she's got terrible riding habits, A few weeks ago I'm stopping for a red light and I look in my mirrors to make sure she sees the redlight also. I see her roaring up alongside me. Just as I'm thinking "I wonder if she sees the light"??, I hear tires squealing and she goes sliding through the intersection. Luckily no cars started to go yet.

I would rather just have her on the back of my bike. less worrying. I talked to her ex husband, he's a good guy, He bartends at a place I stop at occasionally. He told me he used the excuse of needing the money for the mortgage just to get the bike away from her. I see why now.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by toastman
dude i want my girl on her own bike SO badly.

every time we find ourselves on the couch i nonchalantly pull up craigs list and go "oh, check out this nice sporty for $X"

i'd be nervous at first but she's the type that keeps at something until she's good.

if i ever get her on a bike she'll be the one pulling at my shirtsleeves to go on a ride or to follow her to the parking lot to practice
lol...that's exactrly what I'm doing right now. my OL just passed her learners test and she bought herself a Yammy vstar 650 and she's chomping at the bit to get out to the parking lots.

will be pretty schweeet when she's comfortable and has the skills to ride safely so we can ride together instead of 2up

Old 05-26-2010, 05:59 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My girlfriend has expressed a little interest in learning to ride. I would love it if she bought a bike! I've actually passed along the idea of letting her ride my nightster and put another HD in the garage. Kinda selfish, I know but she loves the look of the bike. It would be fun to have a couple bikes to choose from in the stable.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

My wife never sat on a bike until Aug 2006. Then at age 53 she and I took the MSF course. This was just so she knew what I was doing as she rode behind me. On Feb 14th 2007 I bought her a 2007, 1200L. While practicing a few months later in the high school parking she ran through a 6 foot chain link fence. Luckily the fence was attached to the poles so when she hit it it flip up and she went through. It knocked her off and scared us both but she was OK. I bought her a Honda Rebel and 300 miles later she went back to her 1200L. Then after 2700 miles on it I bought her a 2007 Heritage. We had it lowered and the seat reworked. All this time she watched the RLAP DVDs and last summer passed the ERC. She is very cautious and we go to the school parking lot and practice for about 20 minutes before most rides. She is now going on 57 ,with 3 kids and 4 grandkids and she really enjoys riding her own. Do I worry.... you bet, but it is less and less often I worry not a less amount of worry. It does get better. She believes in practicing her skills and I think that is why she rides pretty good. Besides she let's me sleep with her now and then so what else am I going to say.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:23 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has been riding for 8 years now , I never stop worrying or looking out for her , We did Sturgis last year and I swear I spent all my riding time lookin in my mirror! I do consider myself lucky though, sometimes she plans more riding activities than I do !

Old 05-26-2010, 06:24 PM
stamper5498
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife rides better then most men. I worried about her for the 1st year and she kept fussing at me for mirror checking her so much. She started out on an 07 heritage and now on 09 SG. Of course she rode as a kid but never anything like this. I trust her, don't worry about her anymore but still do the mirror checks just not as much. We had pretty much ridden all over the South and are planning a trip out west this year. She handles all types of weather, cold, hot ,rainy, windy like a champ. I am pretty proud of my wifes abilities with her riding. After all, she is my bestest friend.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I like my wife on the back of my bike. Wind in the face and ***** in the back. If she ever decided she wanted to learn to ride and get her own bike, I would be all for it.
Think of it as having a good friend for a riding buddy. One who lets you play with her *****.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Wendell Allen
Cruiser

I can only WISH I could get my woman on her own ride. I'll even buy if she'll fly!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
ThrusterK
Cruiser

My wife rides her own, she has a 2005 Sporty. For the 1st year and a half I constantly worried and watched my mirrors but now I have confidence in her riding ability and we enjoy it much more. I ride a lot more than her and can relax more on solo rides but it's great having her on her own bike. She keeps trying to get me a T-shirt that says on the back.. "If you can read this, the bitch got her own bike"

Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
2DEUCE2
Road Master

My father in law had all girls and kind of treated them like sons. All of them ride. My wife has been riding a motorcycle since she was 16. She is really good and commutes to work 3 of 5 days a week. That being said, I still get a little nervous when riding in heavy traffic here in LA. Millions of the stupidest drivers pulling out in front of you to get one car ahead. I think it is human nature to be concerned for those you love. I don't let it get to me, once we are out of the gridlock, I ease up and enjoy. She also has to text me when she gets to work and when she leaves for home when she is commuting on it. I have to do the same for her though.

Quick Reply: your woman on her own bike..how do ya feel about it?