General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your woman on her own bike..how do ya feel about it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 PM
jsg138
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, I enjoy riding with the wife on the back of my bike, but I also like riding solo. She has threatened to go out and get a bike of her own (she likes the iron 883) but she hasn't done it yet. I think that, at least in the beginning, My level of worry for her riding her own bike would outweigh my enjoyment of riding alone on my bike.... I guess when she actually signs up for an MSF class (non negotiable if she wants to ride with me) then I'll know if she's serious

Old 05-26-2010, 04:02 PM
fgallardo
Advanced

simply put a woman riding a harley is straight sexy! My ole lady (married 15 years in june) has her own she wanted to get it. When ever we ride together it is the best thing next to (you know what). I use to get nervous cause she was riding a bigger bike, but now on her FatBob all is well...let's ride!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:06 PM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine about a year and a half ago, since she refused to ride on the back (stemming from prior husband crashing with her on the bike) and did not want to miss out on the fun. In the beginning I would have her lead so I could watch her and keep cages off her back tire. Her skills and confidence (too much for my liking sometimes) have gone up tremendously and I am very proud of her. The only thing that bugs me now is I have to work out of the country and she gets to ride more than I do.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:24 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife rides her own on local rides but she prefers to ride on the back of mine when we take a long trip. I am comfortable with both scenarios. I love her on the back of mine, but I also love to watch her enjoy riding her own. By the way, I may be one of the few males that likes to ride behind his wife. Two reasons - one is I get a great view, and the other is that she gets to set the pace that is comfortable for her. Most couples I see riding together on separate bikes, I see the male taking the lead. I prefer to be the sweeper and take in the scenery.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chirider
Have any of you thought about letting her lead? That way you wouldn't have to be looking in your rear view mirror all the time.

My husband and I both ride. Sometimes he leads, sometimes I do. He has said in the past that he is less nervous about me when he's riding behind me. That said, I have learned quite a bit about riding by watching him ride in front of me.

Just a thought.
~ Kimberly
I mentioned this, but she doesnt want to lead. She wants to be behind me and watch me, said she feels more comfortable there. Now if we are just slow cruising she is wheel and wheel with me (yeah yeah i know, dont wanna hear bitching about safety). I will say this, she is a fast learner, can ride awesome now, rain or shine, 50 miles or 500 miles, very soon she will be outriding me! And thats not even a joke!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:26 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member

kinda follows the sameline as women in combat, they may be good at it but the men would naturally worry about them.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GONZEE
every time the wife and i go riding, she rides her own this makes me nervous as hell! i can not enjoy the ride becouse i am worrying about her she is an ok driver but rides a bike like a person drives a car. just cause she worked as a backhoe operator she thinks she can handle any thing and i cant tell her otherwise. she just is not strong enough at slow speeds,stops, etc. and has dumped her bike a few times and always places the blame elswhere. AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!

When my wife told me she wanted her own bike I was concerned for the same reasons you stated. I thought it would take the fun away, worrying about her but she insisted. And like I do I gave in with some conditions, she had to take a riders course and I took it with her. She also got the Ride like a Pro videos and practice a lot before hitting the road.
It took some getting use to; I still always check my mirrors to see if she is ok. I also let her lead a lot that way we go at her pace.
The first summer she had her own bike I was on ride with some friends in Montana and she was home in the Seattle area .She calls me and says she wants to meet me in the Canadian Rockies in Banff. I told here no way I will come home and we will go together .Being stubborn as she is she said no but I did convince her to come to Montana and we will go to Canada together. So she jumps on I- 90 and meet me near Missoula MT she crossed WA, Idaho and part of Montana all by her self. All her family and friends thought she was crazy but she did it with out and problem until she met up with me .She was so happy and glad to see me she got off he bike and forgot to put down her kickstand and the bike went down. She was upset but laughs about now. Since then she has been on several long rides including Seattle to LA and back. She enjoys it and I am getting used to her riding her own bike. Our son doesn’t like it when ever he rides with use he rides near her as a force field and I pity the fool that hits her or cause her to go down.

Last edited by skydrifter; 05-26-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:38 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GONZEE
every time the wife and i go riding, she rides her own this makes me nervous as hell! i can not enjoy the ride becouse i am worrying about her she is an ok driver but rides a bike like a person drives a car. just cause she worked as a backhoe operator she thinks she can handle any thing and i cant tell her otherwise. she just is not strong enough at slow speeds,stops, etc. and has dumped her bike a few times and always places the blame elswhere. AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!
Has she been to the MSF course? My wfe had never ridden a motorcycle before that class and has had no problems at all on her 883 in 2 years of riding.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Testacleeze
Novice

I wish I could get my wife to ride a cycle. No matter how bad the day is going, as soon as I start riding down the street, the world don't seem so bad after all. My wife has a very stressful job and I wish she could experience the feeling. Unfortunately she is permanently brainwashed to believe bikes are extremely dangerous.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
du510
Tourer

Originally Posted by Testacleeze
I wish I could get my wife to ride a cycle. No matter how bad the day is going, as soon as I start riding down the street, the world don't seem so bad after all. My wife has a very stressful job and I wish she could experience the feeling. Unfortunately she is permanently brainwashed to believe bikes are extremely dangerous.

Exact same scenario here. She grew up riding ATV's, both four-wheel and three-wheel, but she refuses to think about anything two-wheeled. It's like pulling teeth just to get her on the back of mine; I've given up on that for now.

Quick Reply: your woman on her own bike..how do ya feel about it?