General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your woman on her own bike..how do ya feel about it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 AM
roccitybiker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rather have my girl on her own bike..Not really into the riding two up thing..although every once in awhile its nice..I think there is nothing sexier than a hot looking woman, in leather, on her own scoot...!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 AM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 16 years of riding behind me my wife wanted her own bike. We rode ATV's together, and she could ride my dirt bike. I insisted she take a local MSF course, get a license and we would take it from there. I also told her that I would get her an 883L if she passed. My buddy had an old Suzuki 125 street bike she took to a parking lot and dropped about 5 times learning to use the clutch, etc. Fast forward 2 weeks, and I sold my old Triumph and the day before fathers day, 2000, I bought her a new 883L, Turqoise blue. She was a great rider and still is, although we just upgraded to a 2010 Sportster 1200L for her. My daughter went through the same thing in 2009, and I told her the same thing. Only this catch was to stay on high honor roll, get accepted to college, and get scholarships. Her graduation present was an 883L. Its a weird feeling going for a ride with your daughter on her own bike, but as happy as she is with it, I wouldn't have it any other way. And I get to ride my Road king solo.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

with regard to her riding in front.. I let my wife lead.. and when we ride with our "group" she either leads.. or rides in the number two spot.. msf and other recommend the lesser experienced riders be at the front.. that way they set the pace.. the group doesn't get all strung out and the more experienced riders don't leave the lesser experienced ones behind... seems to work for us well enough.

mavrick

Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by yljkt
After 16 years of riding behind me my wife wanted her own bike. We rode ATV's together, and she could ride my dirt bike. I insisted she take a local MSF course, get a license and we would take it from there. I also told her that I would get her an 883L if she passed. My buddy had an old Suzuki 125 street bike she took to a parking lot and dropped about 5 times learning to use the clutch, etc. Fast forward 2 weeks, and I sold my old Triumph and the day before fathers day, 2000, I bought her a new 883L, Turqoise blue. She was a great rider and still is, although we just upgraded to a 2010 Sportster 1200L for her. My daughter went through the same thing in 2009, and I told her the same thing. Only this catch was to stay on high honor roll, get accepted to college, and get scholarships. Her graduation present was an 883L. Its a weird feeling going for a ride with your daughter on her own bike, but as happy as she is with it, I wouldn't have it any other way. And I get to ride my Road king solo.
Now that's a cool post, cep havin to sell the Trumpet............

Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuburbanMom
He (badwhine) got under your skin, did he? He's an antagonist. Don't let ignorance ruffle your feathers, my friend.
No I am not a antagonist. I just have a opinion that is unpopular. And I am not a troll. I am entitled to my belief and expressed it without slandering or degrading females.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 PM
chister
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am proud and thrilled every time my wife throws her leg over her Sporty. There's no one I'd rather share the experience of a ride with than her, and the fact that she's on her own scoot makes it that much more special for me. After a good day riding, we can come home, pop a couple of cold ones and share our thoughts about what we saw, heard and felt. We experience life differently, and I always appreciate hearing her perspective on all the things we encounter together on the road. It's been a joy watching her gain confidence and hearing her describe how the air temperature changed when we rode through a low, shady area near water; or how she was sweating in her rain suit; or how her legs were freezing on a late fall ride causes me to re-live those same experiences as if for the first time.

Do I worry when she's out by herself? Sure. Just the same as she worries about me when I'm out alone. And it is more stressful for me when we're out together, especially when she's behind me because I feel I need to be extra vigilant about what's going on up ahead, so I can react early. At the same time I am also trying to be aware of what's happening behind her, so if we need to change lanes I know she has enough space and I'm not putting her in a bad spot. I like when she leads because the protective part of me feels like I can better accomplish that from behind than in front. But she said she's learned a lot from following me and seeing how I react to different traffic situations, so that's good. I think we make each other better riders.

"badwhine," I was going to leave your post alone, because everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, no matter how backward-***-straight-out-of-the-1950s it might seem to others. However, I think you might have alleviated some of the venom directed your way had you written "I don't think women belong on bikes," and owned your opinion rather than stating it as some kind of universal neanderthal truth. I happen to disagree with you in the strongest possible way. And that's my opinion.

I love my wife, and I love that she rides her own.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:29 PM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

I loved it when the wife was able to ride her own scoot. How ever due to her back surgeries she can no longer ride hers or on the back of mine.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by roccitybiker
I think there is nothing sexier than a hot looking woman, in leather, on her own scoot...!!!
Sure there is. A hot looking woman, in leather (chaps and a vest maybe - nothing else), laying on your bed.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Once tried getting the wife to ride my bikes,she adamantly says she wants to be close to me,and on back.Nuff said!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
My wife wanted to learn to ride, so she took thw MSF course, & I bought her a Honda Rebel to practice on.... She put 61 miles on it before she changed her mind...
Some like it - some don't. My wife also took the MSF course to learn to ride, bought an 883 Sportster and, 2 years later, complains about not getting to ride enough.

Quick Reply: your woman on her own bike..how do ya feel about it?