General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first and second animal collision

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010 | 09:39 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master

Had a bird fly into my front wheel at 45 mph last summer. Its' head didn't come off, but I don't think much was holding it on.

Elbert's squirrels (black ones about the size of a rabbit) have run out in front of me. Haven't hit one of those yet, and don't want to.

Had a several deer run across the road in front of me. One morning it was close enough to make me brace for impact. When it didn't happen I kept going, but probably should have stopped, my feet were shaking on the pegs bad for about 10 min after that one.

Old 05-26-2010 | 09:44 AM
RHPAW
Banned

Cats got nine lives. Each. Go back and run them over 16 more times, or it won't count.

Old 05-26-2010 | 10:13 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jrcisu79
Well last night when I got off work at midnight I was on my way home I hit 2, count them 2 cats. I was going down a side street when all of the sudden I notice something out of the corner of my eye blazin through this yard, they ran out into the road and proceeded to make a sudden left right at me, I mean head on not broadside. All I had time to do was grab handful of brake and procede to run over 2 cats from head to tail. At first it scared the **** right outta me, then I turned around to see both of them flopping like goldfish on the pavement. Didn't go down, thank god, and I'd be glad if this is my only animal run in. The only mark I could find was the starfish in my boxers.
IMHO - your only mistake was grabbing a handful of brake! Critters the size of a small dog or smaller can be ridden over safely most of the time and you should do nothing but concentrate on keeping the bike vertical. No swerving and no mashing on the brakes!!! I know folks that have ridden over large dogs without and serious consequences by staying on the throttle and keeping it straight. I also know someone that spent many weeks in the hospital after hitting the brakes to avoid a small raccoon and winding up in the ditch with a wrecked bike and multiple injuries. The raccoon strolled away unscathed.

Attached Thumbnails first and second animal collision-free-cat.jpg  
Old 05-26-2010 | 10:21 AM
jrcisu79
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by rh8234
IMHO - your only mistake was grabbing a handful of brake! Critters the size of a small dog or smaller can be ridden over safely most of the time and you should do nothing but concentrate on keeping the bike vertical. No swerving and no mashing on the brakes!!! I know folks that have ridden over large dogs without and serious consequences by staying on the throttle and keeping it straight. I also know someone that spent many weeks in the hospital after hitting the brakes to avoid a small raccoon and winding up in the ditch with a wrecked bike and multiple injuries. The raccoon strolled away unscathed.
I agree, it just suprised me they had all the room in the world to avoid me, but chose at the last second to turn right at me. I've had a few close calls on the highway but none really in town, but maybe I should start cuz last year I came home one night to find 2 deer standing in our front yard, and yes we live pretty much right in the middle in town.