General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultima 6 speed gearset?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Ultima 6 speed gearset?

Have one in a box here from Jireh, $505 delivered to door. Pretty good price i thought. It looks identical to a Jim's 6 speed. I was considering replacing the supplied Japanese bearings(least they ain't chinese) and seals with the factory HD parts, probably cost around $75 more. Worth it in the long run? Anyone have any experience with these or would i just be wasting my money and time by replacing them?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a Baker DD6 gear set in mine. Not dissin ya, I did quite a bit of research before my decision. I have to say that I found pretty much equal reports on Ultimia and RevTec gear sets. Couldn't find enough good or bad about either to decide. The price was certainly a factor. Went with the Baker simply because I came into a little extra cash at the time.

As for the bearings, either revtec or ultima had a problem with bearings at first, but that was reported to have been fixed at the time of my research last year. I think the HD bearings are those that Jim's uses. Seems like I remember something about HD gear set being built by Jim's?

One thing you might consider is to email Ultima, or give them a call. It could be that certain bearings are machined for a specific application, (I found that to be the case with a particular bearing in the Baker set), and you wouldn't want to use an 'off the shelf' bearing in place of one that was redesigned to fit properly...

Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Yeah, all the bad stuff i found was related to the bearings used. Since the bearings are japanese that may be ok now. The ultima gearset is the same one used in their trannys which seem to hold up pretty well. I will probably replace them with HD parts.