General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the city

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding in the city

I started riding in the late 1970's and then got away from it while I done my twenty in the military. I retired and moved to Alaska to work as a civilian for the Army and got back into riding and bought my Harley. I left Alaska and moved to Michigan and now live in Sterling Heights north of Detroit. My question is does everyone have that pucker factor driving in city traffic? I have a short fifteen mile commute to work but a lot of intersections and heavy traffic and the only time I seem to enjoy riding now is if I head North and totally get away from all this.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I feel your pain. I have lived in small towns most of my life. I live 2 miles from a town of about 7500 in the middle of Ks. now. I am like you and do not like riding in traffic at all. I do it some, but like the back roads around here much better, as there is very little traffic. Sometimes don't even see another vehicle for 10 or 15 miles. Laid back cruising at its best as far as I am concerned. I just enjoy the music from my drag pipes, and the sun bouncing off my headlight on my Softail Custom. It just don't get any better.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to commute from South Phoenix through downtown, no way around it. Pedestrians walking into traffic, light rail, red light runners, construction, speeders, tailgaters, lane jumpers, you name it.

Usually a high profanity ride. I'll take the 6 any old day.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is tough going from riding in Alaska to riding in the Detroit Metro area. At least I only have seven years until retirement and then small town America here I come.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

http://www.explodingdog.com/dumbpict51/goodpie.gif

Last edited by VsTheWorld; 07-26-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
sinbin
6th Gear

sometimes, when riding in Edmonton, it feels like they are actually trying to run me down.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

I started riding in '69 but gave it up when I moved to the Atlanta area in 2001. I couldn't believe the number of crazy cagers here and I feared for my life every time I went out. Since then I've moved to a quieter area and found some safer roads so, when gas hit $4 per gallon a few years ago, I decided to try again. I had forgotten how much I loved riding and am enjoying every minute in the saddle again. I still avoid Atlanta traffic as much as possible and my defense is always up but I'll never give up riding again.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I live smack dab in the middle of Los Angeles on a very busy street. I learned to ride here and have been for 14 years. Yes, the pucker factor comes up occasionally, but I am quite used to it. You want pucker factor? Try splitting lanes in pouring rain at rush hour on the 405. That'll do it every time.

Drew

Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

Originally Posted by sinbin
sometimes, when riding in Edmonton, it feels like they are actually trying to run me down.
That's the way it is in Atlanta. These people will pull in front of a fire truck with flashing lights and sirens so I'm sure they won't notice me. An Atlanta driver thinks 2 feet is a safe following distance on the freeway. All I can do is ride as if half of them are blind and can't see me and the other half are actively trying to kill me and I'm usually right. I have to be on high alert at all times with defense at maximum anytime I'm near Atlanta traffic.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:21 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ride out of the city to the highway every morning.

Quick Reply: Riding in the city