General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the city

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 PM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WVICEMAN
I started riding in the late 1970's and then got away from it while I done my twenty in the military. I retired and moved to Alaska to work as a civilian for the Army and got back into riding and bought my Harley. I left Alaska and moved to Michigan and now live in Sterling Heights north of Detroit. My question is does everyone have that pucker factor driving in city traffic? I have a short fifteen mile commute to work but a lot of intersections and heavy traffic and the only time I seem to enjoy riding now is if I head North and totally get away from all this.
That's why I avoid 696 and 275 during rush hour. Can't tell ya how many times I nearly bought it from some a-hole. I stick to the Mile roads and such, actually takes less time than the highway. But even there my sphinchter has jammed up- especially in the Lahser/Evergreen area.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try riding in downtown Atlanta. The speed in the slow lane is 70 Mph. Soccer moms on the way to school hauling little bad *** Johnny, or chattering away on the cell phone will test the courage and skills of even the most experienced biker. I avoid the traffic whenever I can and head West to Alabama. The ride to Mt. Cheaha is nice, very few cars, and the occasional biker cruising just like me. The mountain road is winding, but no severe turns. The sun just cresting the horizon, a cool breeze in my face, and some good Motown tunes on the radio....priceless.
Look for the good in the ride... If you can get reconnected whit why you love to ride in the first place, you will act and think like it.
Rediscover the freedom inside you and everything will be OK.
Dwayne

Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingnut51
............All I can do is ride as if half of them are blind and can't see me and the other half are actively trying to kill me and I'm usually right. I have to be on high alert at all times with defense at maximum anytime I'm near Atlanta traffic.....
Well said. Hone your skills, and be aware of EVERYTHING around you. You will eventually have a Pucker Factor scenario, but if you are aware and practiced, you should survive. I have rubbed saddle bag supports a few times, and have had to alert a few taxis with my boots, as well as horn.

take Winut51's quote, and run with it. Hope ya don't mind Wingnut.

............All WE can do is ride as if half of them are blind and can't see US and the other half are actively trying to kill US and WE'RE usually right. WE have to be on high alert at all times with defense at maximum anytime WE'RE near ______ insert CITY NAME ______ traffic.....

Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 PM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DMas
That's why I avoid 696 and 275 during rush hour. Can't tell ya how many times I nearly bought it from some a-hole. I stick to the Mile roads and such, actually takes less time than the highway. But even there my sphinchter has jammed up- especially in the Lahser/Evergreen area.
Yea that's what I do most of the time. I have to come down to the Arsenal on 11 Mile but even on roads like Van Dyke and Mound it can get dicey with the tail gaiting.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have lived and ridden in St. Louis, Phoenix, Los Angeles and Chicago. Frankly, I got used to riding in heavy traffic over the years and considered it normal. I now live in semi-rural Georgia and can be away from any and all traffic in a couple of minutes. It is better.

I do occasionally venture over into Atlanta or ride through cities while traveling and it doesn't really bother me.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:56 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 770 Posts

When I started riding in '69 I was living in Philly, so I guess I got used to it pretty quick. You could call it baptism by fire. That didn't mean I liked it, and got out of the city every chance I had. These days, I think I'm lucky that I can avoid city driving.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:16 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes it does, I leave 15 minutes early for work so my pucker has time to release it's self from the seat when I arrive.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rode to downtown Louisville Sunday and was surprised to find it as deserted as the set of I Am Legend - very nice city riding there. Then down to 4th street where the street was blocked for cars (permanently) but motorcycles can park on the street. Nice.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WVICEMAN
I started riding in the late 1970's and then got away from it while I done my twenty in the military. I retired and moved to Alaska to work as a civilian for the Army and got back into riding and bought my Harley. I left Alaska and moved to Michigan and now live in Sterling Heights north of Detroit. My question is does everyone have that pucker factor driving in city traffic? I have a short fifteen mile commute to work but a lot of intersections and heavy traffic and the only time I seem to enjoy riding now is if I head North and totally get away from all this.
First of all my condolence for having to live in Michigan. You will hate the winters, not being able to ride. I hated it. As far as the pucker factor, I shared your experiences while living in Ferndale and driving and riding to Marysville every day. Fortunately, 90% of my commute was on the big road.