General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mismatched Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Rocker_C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
The bias/radial front or back is BS...Mostly manufacturer tales to sell more tires...Bias/Radial is really a factor on trailers. but when in a straight line at the speeeds a HD will go then there is really no issues withrunning mixed...I have done bothe radial front n back mixed with bias ply and i could never tell a difference.

This is true, my Rocker comes stock with a Bias front Radial back tire. It is hard to find a small Radial. I don’t feel any difference in handling compared to other bikes I have had with the same type of tire on front and back.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't mean ****. If you like the way it handles, and they have healthy rubber on them, ride them until you decide to match up a pair. I've ridden all sort of mixes, and it's no big deal.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Take it for a ride. If it tracks and corners ok you're golden.
Of course, BoomerBob, since you and I have been riding bikes with rear CT's AND an MC front tire (and are obviously unable to turn without blowing out those flimsy CT sidewalls), what would we know about mixing tire types anyway?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience is that different tires can track and ride differently. You may see my responses in those thread links above. Just take it easy, and take special care to notice how each tire reacts as you cross different aspects in the road. It can be safe IF you know how the tires will react and keep it close to mind...

Manufacturers aren't just trying to sell more tires. They have liability issues, and know there is a difference in the ride when mixing. Their liability is what keeps them from giving an approval. You can't blame them, if you don't take necessary care. But in today's world, people will sue even if they themselves didn't have the sense to use prudent caution...

Last edited by CroK; 05-26-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
My experience is that different tires can track and ride differently. You may see my responses in those thread links above. Just take it easy, and take special care to notice how each tire reacts as you cross different aspects in the road. It can be safe IF you know how the tires will react and keep it close to mind...

Manufacturers aren't just trying to sell more tires. They have liability issues, and know there is a difference in the ride when mixing. Their liability is what keeps them from giving an approval. You can't blame them, if you don't take necessary care. But in today's world, people will sue even if they themselves didn't have the sense to use prudent caution...
Good point Crok..

Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There is no issue,unless you try and sell the bike to a zealot or **** proffectionist.These bikes will never be pushed to the limit of the tires in everyday riding.I have always ridden my machines to the tires limits and using different brands,trust me when I say todays tires are incredible in their ability to keep from sliding.