General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Rear Bearing Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
A little update…… looked the bike over this weekend during an oil change and cleanup and noticed that they didn’t put one of the bolts back in my brake caliper and the other one was loose…..LOL – torque to spec. LOL
Holy crap! I'm in the habit of going over anything the dealer touches, for this very reason. I had a broken exhaust clamp replaced under warranty; they had it for 3 days waiting for the part. When I got it home I did a pre-ride insp - exhaust looked good, but as I checked the engine oil I noticed a gritty feel while unscrewing the oil cap. wtf? It usually is really smooth, what you would expect any lubricated thread to feel like. I pulled the oil cap housing and attached a rag to some mechanical fingers and scrubbed the inside bottom of the oil pan; didn't find anything unusual. I use a stainless steel oil filter element, so I pulled it to inspect and clean, and it didn't show anything unusual. I thought maybe the dealer was pissed that I don't take my bike in for their $300 oil changes and dumped sand or something equally gritty in the oil, but there isn't any evidence other than the gritty feel when the cap was removed. The bike is always garaged at home, but was probably left in the outside yard at the dealer. There had been some wind and probably a lot of dust and dirt blowing at it. Has anyone who keeps their bike outside ever experienced anything similar? Sorry for the hi-jack.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The new bearing are lube with some kind of special lube, I had a Buell end rear bearing went bad and ruin the rear wheel which they would not replace anything but the bearing. Good extended warrantee plan. I would get ceramic bearings to replace the stock bearing

Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clicker01
Holy crap! I'm in the habit of going over anything the dealer touches, for this very reason. I had a broken exhaust clamp replaced under warranty; they had it for 3 days waiting for the part. When I got it home I did a pre-ride insp - exhaust looked good, but as I checked the engine oil I noticed a gritty feel while unscrewing the oil cap. wtf? It usually is really smooth, what you would expect any lubricated thread to feel like. I pulled the oil cap housing and attached a rag to some mechanical fingers and scrubbed the inside bottom of the oil pan; didn't find anything unusual. I use a stainless steel oil filter element, so I pulled it to inspect and clean, and it didn't show anything unusual. I thought maybe the dealer was pissed that I don't take my bike in for their $300 oil changes and dumped sand or something equally gritty in the oil, but there isn't any evidence other than the gritty feel when the cap was removed. The bike is always garaged at home, but was probably left in the outside yard at the dealer. There had been some wind and probably a lot of dust and dirt blowing at it. Has anyone who keeps their bike outside ever experienced anything similar? Sorry for the hi-jack.
Negative! I stroe my bike outside with a cover on it and have never had the oil cap feel like it was gritty on the threads. Maybe you should change your oil and filter just to be sure...cheap insurance. And with the old oil out of the bike you can check it more closely for contamination.