General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Rear Bearing Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I think this is more of a defective OEM bearing problem than anything else. Several '09 Touring bikes have had this problem, and besides, It would take a LOT or over torqueing to cause this kind of failure.
Over the years, I have replaced hundreds of bearings in my own farm machinery, and some times the new bearings were just plain old JUNK to begin with. Usually the seal goes, then the lube becomes contaminated, then comes full bearing failure!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer picked the bike up last week and knew what parts were needed – well, a week later they have my wheel, but he says that the spacers are on backorder until the 16th and he’s got the parts guys looking for some to get them in sooner……

Ok, so, when did you find out that they were on backorder? Why would you just now have people searching for them?

Oh, they said the hub was toast and the spacers......

Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Dealer picked the bike up last week and knew what parts were needed – well, a week later they have my wheel, but he says that the spacers are on backorder until the 16th and he’s got the parts guys looking for some to get them in sooner……

Ok, so, when did you find out that they were on backorder? Why would you just now have people searching for them?

Oh, they said the hub was toast and the spacers......
Wheel kits are a pain in the *** to find right now. Seems they're all on backorder. I just ordered a new wheel for my Night Train (pothole damage). Ordered the wheel and install. kit no problem. Wheel comes. Kit doesn't. Install kit went off backorder the same day I placed my order, then went back on and no one caught it till I started asking questions. Cancelled the order and found one in stock at a dealership down in DC. Drove 45 minutes to go pick it up.

Ask your dealer if there's anyone else locally that has the kit in stock. I had a really good dealer on the phone doing that for me. "How far you want to drive for this thing? they got it here, here, here, here, and here." and rattled off a 1/2 dozen dealers that were 45 min - 3 hours away that had the part I was looking for to get me back on the road.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Yeah, they are calling around for me to find it at a dealer, but my question is if they knew they needed the spacers last week and they placed the order then and knew it was on backorder until the 16th……..why would you wait around until the other parts get here and start looking around for the spacers? They could have had those in hand already if they are available at another dealer……..and my bike would be fixed today and I’d be on the road to enjoy one of my very last three day weekends before I start a new job and lose them…….

Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Got my bike by last Friday morning – they somehow got in the spacers that were needed to get it back together…..

Service guy said that he hated to admit that he’s seen more than a few bearings issues in recent years and especially on Dynas…… hate to hear that. I hope it doesn’t happen when I’m on a trip somewhere……

Old 06-15-2010, 11:55 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We use a lot of sealed bearings at my job and though, as I mentioned earlier, most issues with them occur when the seal is compromised, more than a few fail because off faulty manufacture, read:cheap. You get what you pay for and from what I've seen the MoCo doesn't always go with the best parts available. No excuse fro your backordered spacers though, someone was asleep at the wheel.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bottom line, it is their BOTTOM LINE they are most concerned with. IF they can save $2, $3, or $5 a bearing, when they order 30,000+, TRUST me, they'll buy the cheapest "F"in' ones they can get. Plus the manuf. will go to where it is the cheapest to produce, REGARDLESS of quality or quality control. (Nu "F"t World Order)
They fail more often than not, because they were made poorly, from the git go. The spacers will pretty much prevent you from "mashing" the brg. You would REALLY have to be a gorilla to tear 'em up, that way.

You do NOT need any mo' torque on the axle, the axle is a non-rotating part, so it jus' needs to be held "in place". Call me TOOPID, my axles do NOT even have cotter pins, or keeper pins, on 'em. A li'l grease on the axle, as posted above, will 'help' with future removal (think corrosion/rust).

Depending on the 'wheel', not really a big chore to pop 'em out and back in. IF you brought it and the brgs in, 'bout $50 or so. BUT the quality o' the brgs is on YOU !!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Its fixed, your back on the road. Thats the important part.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

It's gonna be real hard to over torque an axle.

The bearing inner race (#5), spacers (#2 & 10), spacer inside the wheel (#6). It all amounts to a solid steel tube. Your going to strip threads before you deform that.

Unless your hairy as he!! and named mighty joe young.

Now if the inner spacer between the bearings (#6) is the wrong length that's a different story. It would force the bearing's inner race in and create a destructive side load.

Any way about it. The dealer would have to tell me it's not covered.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

A little update…… looked the bike over this weekend during an oil change and cleanup and noticed that they didn’t put one of the bolts back in my brake caliper and the other one was loose…..LOL – torque to spec. LOL

Quick Reply: '09 Rear Bearing Failure