General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with ipod

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

done it many times, works great...

Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM
section8joe
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started using mine on longer trips. I plug my headphones into my iphone and can use the switch on the cord to skip songs. I also use a gps app that give me turn by turn directions via my iphone. Pretty cool little set up. Put your address in the gps and songs on the ipod. Throw the iphone in my pocket and I'm on my way. By the way I'm using Vmoda headphones. They run about $80 and are worth every penny.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Maxama
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son rides with his,one day riding in town he didn't hear the siren coming up behind us. I don't think its a good idea.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Hot_Pasta
Cruiser

i dont hear music because when i ride i prefer singing songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-u-Ql6_Gm8...."the banjo am the instrument for meeeeeeee"....

Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 PM
mech-a-nic
Tourer

I uses the Skull Candy With my Iphone and can hear fine, also can take calls if I wish but have to talk loud or bout scream to be heard at speed. I also have a full windshild. I will use them as ear plugs too.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by far the best plugs I've ever used ( and no I don't work for them ) are the S-plugs from plugup.com

I gave them to my wife when I got my custom molded earplugs ( use them with the rock band as well)..... the S-plugs sealed out noise better, fit totally inside the ear so they never gave me problems with different helmets ( or lack thereof) cost about $130

The custom molds were more expensive, but they take the hassle out of making sure the earbud is in right, and they work with my band's in-ear monitors..... with either one my iPods volume was never much more than 60% and I could hear it fine even over the pipes on my old bike ( jardine's on a Rocket III are the loudest dmn pipes I've ever heard on a streetbike)......highly recommend them

Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Jdog449
6th Gear

I have a set of Shure ear buds, ride with a half helmet W/ half shield and no wind shield. Bike is a CVO 110 with V&H BS/stagereds and Eric Clapton sounds great at 70 mph

Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 AM
qwest
Cruiser

I did a long trip last year using Skull Candy - they worked ok, but had to have the volume way up and they were kind of uncomfortable after a number of hours. Sore ears at the end of the day.

For this year's trip I got a pair of Klipsch Image S4. Cost about $80. What a huge difference. They block out all outside noise. Volume didn't have to be cranked and the sound quality was great. They were extremely comfortable and stayed put in my ears without any problem, even with my half helmet.

I left the MP3 player in my jacket pocket and ran the cable under my arm and over my shoulders from behind so the cable didn't flap around in the breeze in front of me.

I listened to random music shuffle most of the time, but I have some podcasts and comedy loaded too. George Carlin and Dane Cook crack me up. I spent stretches of many miles laughing out loud with a big smile on my face. Worried about catching a bug in my mouth and wondered what I must look like to other drivers while I was laughing. Then I laughed some more.

I don't wear it around town and I would take them out as I was getting into bigger towns. I can't imagine doing long days on the road without it though.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:08 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an iPhone and only rock out on road trips when I'm gonna be riding for hours. I've got some Skull Candy ear buds that are awesome. They block out a lot of road/wind/exhaust noise, and I can hear the music perfectly at about 50% voume at interstate speeds. They're perfect.

So +1 on Skull Candy. I think I'm the 7th or so person in this thread? Then there's the one guy against them. Sorry dude, but I think they're pretty decent for riding, just like the others... you're on your own!.. so far.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:04 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride with an iPod all the time. I use the foam style earphones that work like earplugs to seal your ear. Works great for me. I also use the cheaper iPod shuffle clipped on my belt...very easy to turn volume up/down, or switch songs without taking my eyes off the road.

Quick Reply: Riding with ipod