General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with ipod

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 PM
thefixer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a full face helmet and helmet speakers.
My Ipod is velcroed to the dash and a volume control dial is on my left handlebar switch cover. I can control the volume without my hand leaving the bars, and a quick push on the Ipod control changes the songs.
I have been running this set-up for 7000 miles or so with NO problems!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a 4GB Sansa Clip (1000 songs, 15 hours battery life) for long distance riding. The Sansa Clip includes an FM radio for checking the weather that lies ahead for the journey but I would really prefer an mp3 player that included weather band.

The mp3 player has a clip that allows me to clip it to my t-shirt over my left collarbone and run the wires down my back under my shirt. I can then use my left hand to pause/forward/volume. My jacket protects the mp3 player from rain.

I use Shure earphones with olives - they never fall out while riding.

BigLow

Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Slopneck
Road Master

I use my iPod all the time on rides. With and without my windshield. Tried several different headphones (some kind of expensive) but found the very best ones for about $15. They are Koss headphones and they have the foam ends that you squeeze and let them expand in your ears. Love 'em!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM
sundogbrew
Advanced

I just started doing this and love it. Glad to hear I am not the only one. I use the headphones that come with the Iphone, they have the switch so you can control the volume and you can skip a song by clicking it 2x or repeat a song by clicking 3x. Question though, is it legal? Not that it is going to stop me but just wondering. I usually have it at a mid volume so I can still hear the bike over it. Could hear a horn but I don't think I am missing anything else. Do have to pause it at stop lights to talk to my buddies.
Got to have my tunes. Otherwise I end up singing the same line from some song that I got stuck in my head for the duration of the ride. Gets pretty old on a long ride!
Joe

Old 05-25-2010, 03:47 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Harmon Kardon in ear headphones ... fit better than ANY otehr in ear bud I have tried.

Best part was they were free. Got them when I ordered a bunch of stuff from Crutchfield. I think they retail for about 120 though

Old 05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Good Time Gang
Tourer

i use mine on longer rides. i figure i cannot hear crap from the wind so why not mix in a little music.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Walmart JVC Marshmallow Stereo Headphones, HA-FX34S Assorted Colors. They will not fall out and they work like earplugs. However, you cannot hear traffic around you with them in.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/JVC-Marshm...Colors/9135484

Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

An ipod and some foam ear buds..best sound I have ever found ..I wear a 1/2 helmet and do have a windshield.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Spaceteach
Intermediate

I use in ear monitors. I have both Shure and Westone models, but usually go with the Westones because they are the most comfortable. You have to insert them in your ear like foam earplugs. Since they go in the ear, it is easy to put on and take off a helmet without worrying about them falling out of the ears and the sound is fantastic. Normally I don't even have to change the volume as the speed increases.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
An ipod and some foam ear buds..best sound I have ever found ..I wear a 1/2 helmet and do have a windshield.

Same here, Ipod nano, Earbuds, no problems hearing the music or weather on FM..windshield and loud V&H shortshots, half helmet.

I just bouhgt the noise cancelling earbuds that are tiny, they have no stem on them so i can get them in deep enough to seal off sound or the bike and air.

Quick Reply: Riding with ipod