General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with ipod

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Considering how often I go through earbuds, and how PO'd i was when I lost my expensive custom fit ones on a 1500 mile road trip, I will stick with less expensive alternatives, that is why I decided to give earfuze a try. I like the molded part for wind block and keeping them put in my ear.

I have had a few sets of Skull Candy's and they sound and work good, as long as they stay in your ear.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
i8mich
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at these Etymotic Research ER6i

Old 07-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,290 Likes on 837 Posts

I used mine for years on my old bike. I used Etymotic Research er6-i ear buds, 80mph with loud pipes I could hear with no problems...you have to learn to be uber-attentive, cause you don't hear ambient noises much with them in. I have a long commute (56 miles each way) and never had an issue.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm also using Skull Candy ear buds but with my Droid X. So not only can I listen to my downloaded music, I can also listen to Pandora Radio or regular FM Radio over the interent. I also have a scanner app that finds all the local freqs so I can monitor the cops too, LOL!

I have the Droid X mounted right below the console on my fatbobs as I sometimes use a speedo app (which besides speed, includes distance traveled and average speed) and also the GPS. Plus the Droid X will muti-task so I can have more than one app going at once. I could even watch a frigging movie! Of course I installed a power plug for it behind my oil tank.

Oh, and it makes great phone calls too, LOL!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by NickD
I'm also using Skull Candy ear buds but with my Droid X. So not only can I listen to my downloaded music, I can also listen to Pandora Radio or regular FM Radio over the interent. I also have a scanner app that finds all the local freqs so I can monitor the cops too, LOL!

I have the Droid X mounted right below the console on my fatbobs as I sometimes use a speedo app (which besides speed, includes distance traveled and average speed) and also the GPS. Plus the Droid X will muti-task so I can have more than one app going at once. I could even watch a frigging movie! Of course I installed a power plug for it behind my oil tank.

Oh, and it makes great phone calls too, LOL!

And you do all this while riding?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use my iphone with in-ear buds...works great! Also have the HD Boom Audio pouch which has a magnet that holds it securely to the tank. Very well padded to minimize vibration.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:14 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by smittyp83
Until you lose them...
Or you drop them and them step on them like I did with my buds. I'll stick with the $30-$40 variety.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I wish I'd had a thread like this before I rode to Oklahoma......

I played my ipod thru my AutoCom system. Used the speakers they provided inside a full-face.

Had my nano in one of those biceps sportsbands, but my wife expanded it to fit around my thigh, and the electronics rode in a small bag I have strapped to the front of a saddlebag guard.

It was great to have, and I'm sure it sounds OK, but alot of my time was spent on highways with a posted speed limit of 75 ( my bike has a speedometer error, and I discovered you can't set the Cruise Control at speeds above 85mph ). So there was a LOT of wind-noise, which I found was mostly percussive (mechanical) against the Mastoid Process (the bone on your skull behind/below the ear- if you tap it with your finger and notice howw loud it is ) and the ipod had to be turned up to the max to even hear it. I can't wear earbuds for very long ( I have some molded earplugs that I can't use much ).

I ended up turning the ipod off sometimes just because I got tired of the noise. The wind noise by itself is really loud, and it can't be good for my ears. Adding more noise to it sometimes doesn't always make sense for me, which is a bummer.

Because there were times ( like listening to the Eagles sing "Take It Easy" while leaving a gas station in Winslow, Arizona at sunset ) where the music was almost magical

Old 07-24-2010, 05:17 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, I molded up the earfuze earbuds and took them out for a few hours today. Worth every penny and for the price you can't beat them.
Takes about 1/2 hour to do both ears. They cut about 75% of the wind noise which is pretty damn good in my opinion. The earbuds that come with them are plenty loud and have good sound, so I have ZERO complaints. For the price if I lose them I won't be too PO'd unless it is in the middle of a long road trip, like I did with the $200 set I use to have, not being an audiophile, these sound just as good to me.
They go in and out of the ear quite easily. I got the red and blue so it is easy to tell which ear they go in.
No regrets buying these for me.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:34 PM
daleg3556
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

O

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
I wish I'd had a thread like this before I rode to Oklahoma......

I played my ipod thru my AutoCom system. Used the speakers they provided inside a full-face.

Had my nano in one of those biceps sportsbands, but my wife expanded it to fit around my thigh, and the electronics rode in a small bag I have strapped to the front of a saddlebag guard.

It was great to have, and I'm sure it sounds OK, but alot of my time was spent on highways with a posted speed limit of 75 ( my bike has a speedometer error, and I discovered you can't set the Cruise Control at speeds above 85mph ). So there was a LOT of wind-noise, which I found was mostly percussive (mechanical) against the Mastoid Process (the bone on your skull behind/below the ear- if you tap it with your finger and notice howw loud it is ) and the ipod had to be turned up to the max to even hear it. I can't wear earbuds for very long ( I have some molded earplugs that I can't use much ).

I ended up turning the ipod off sometimes just because I got tired of the noise. The wind noise by itself is really loud, and it can't be good for my ears. Adding more noise to it sometimes doesn't always make sense for me, which is a bummer.

Because there were times ( like listening to the Eagles sing "Take It Easy" while leaving a gas station in Winslow, Arizona at sunset ) where the music was almost magical
Or listening to Bruce Springsteen sing "Badlands" while riding through the Badlands!

Quick Reply: Riding with ipod