General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what else won't the MOCO fix??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah.......speaking of MOCO. Have you contacted them yet? There are laws that extend beyond the written warranty. Would be hard for them to claim a wrist pin is a common repair/normal wear issue at 10,000 miles.

Might be worth it to invite them to the table. You will certainly need those service records though.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:41 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

It is the rear cylinder. It has an oil cooler. I've been riding my evo for about 10 years now and have only riden this bike in warm weather the day it failed. I've read how hot these things get but this may be getting too hot. Dam it's hot. way hotter than the evo. We will look into oiling issues while it's apart. Wwhen the crank comes back from darkhorse, it will have new straight rods , welded crank, balanced and with my pistons machined to fit the new rods.
Thank you for the recent interest. I'll let you know what I think when it's back on the road. I have spent 6 weeks researching my options. I could have experimented and pushed another bushing in my unharmed rod but that didn't seem like a good idea on a $16K bike. I think I made the only logical choice. Glad I still have the evo.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
Thank you for the recent interest. I'll let you know what I think when it's back on the road. I have spent 6 weeks researching my options. I could have experimented and pushed another bushing in my unharmed rod but that didn't seem like a good idea on a $16K bike. I think I made the only logical choice. Glad I still have the evo.
I agree......have it that far down makes sense to make it bullet-proof. (or as close as a machine can be anyway)

Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a prime example of why I have bought and will always buy my Harleys new. So I know how they have been maintained.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:38 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Never heard of that one.... must have a bad one... sell it and get another one..

Old 05-28-2010, 03:50 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,257 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
I wasn't asking how to fix it. There is no fix for it other than pulling the crank. A couple guys said they have done it but it is difficult. Look on this forumnad others. John at dark horse said "go ahead and experiment, but not with my bike". He has a point. That part number is probably the twin cam 88" part number. There is no listed part number for the 96" engine. The same bushing would fit if there was a way to push a straight bushing into an angled hole. Any how, I was just wondering if there is anything else that would keep me from getting my bike home in less than a month. I guess I could go back in with a new rod of the same poor design, but I won't do that! It isn't the same as the last 100 years. They have made some "improvements" in the last couple years. Sounds like you guys all know better than I. Good luck if you spin a wrist pin bushing while on the road after waranty. By the way, you won't find tools listed for a wrist pin bushing change for bikes after 2006 either. Go figure.
I feel your pain with regards to getting an answer to your question. Many threads here tend to take off in an entirely different direction from their intended one.
Sorry I can't give you any input as I have an 05 and don't know of anything they won't support although I'm sure there is plenty. Dealers around me won't even work on anything pre TC88 anymore.

Seems like the more Technologically advanced Harely gets.....The less we are able to fix **** and the more we just have to replace. They are starting to become more and more like the jap crap all the time.

Just my opinion and any of you that don't like it....Tell someone that cares cause I don't.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Ummmmm did you even read the original post?
Do you read the service manual did show how to fix. But part manual show all the parts not seen.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:18 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not hard to burn your oil with over heating your bike in city traffic. It's what you do after you burn that oil. Do you keep riding that bike till the next mileage oil change time or do you change oil earlyer. Some people just start them up and ride. With a Dino Oil in traffic your oil burns up very fast with less protection for your engine. Without you knowing how that other perple rode that bike it's easy for parts to brake. Fix it and take better care of it.