General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow a bike with a Cadillac CTS??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Your caddy has more power and better brakes that either my Ford Focus or my wifes Honda Accord. BOTH of which have towed my bikes and trailers many thousands of miles. Alot farther than your talkin'.
Neil

Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ship the car, Ride the bike.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Dude, thats a two day ride! ride that *****!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 PM
superprohero
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well i feel much better about using the caddy to tow it.
I might not have time to modify a trailer AND wait on the VIN tag and get it registered/inspected before I have to cut out unless I find something I can just swap the title and get plates all in one. If not I'll just ride the damn thing.

Thanks for all the advice

Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Steeltoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you just gave yourself the best advice;
"just ride the damn thing."

Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

got a uhaul rental trailer (not the enclosed one) and towed my son in laws bike from louisiana to washington state using the daughter's malibu.

no issues. and i think the trailer rental was about $150.00. a lot cheaper than buying a trailer, titleing it, and putting plates on it.....

Old 05-24-2010, 10:39 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by superprohero
OK I may have a job 1700 miles away and all I have is an 04 Cadillac CTS 3.6 and "limited" cash to get me and some things there.

I found a class I hitch for my car that is rated at 2,000 lbs with a 200 lb tongue weight. I have access to a small boat trailer I can easily modify to fit my Road King. I don't see an issue balancing everything to stay under the 200 lb tongue weight.

Does anyone see any potential problems with this? I know I would want a wide wheel base on the trailer so the bike doesnt tip.

Its either this or fly back "when I can" and ride it there. 1700 miles would take a lot of stops with my tailbone and stock seat.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Fly me there and I'll ride it for you then fly me home.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superprohero
Well i feel much better about using the caddy to tow it.
I might not have time to modify a trailer AND wait on the VIN tag and get it registered/inspected before I have to cut out unless I find something I can just swap the title and get plates all in one. If not I'll just ride the damn thing.

Thanks for all the advice
What will registration cost you there? In Tx a home built trailer like you are talking about is around $40. Title not needed on small or boat trailer.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 AM
superprohero
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What will registration cost you there? In Tx a home built trailer like you are talking about is around $40. Title not needed on small or boat trailer.
I'm guessing about the same price but all trailers here have to have a VIN therefore they have to have a title. So I have to apply for a title and pay the fees, then they send in all the info and mail you a VIN tag you have to attach to the trailer. Then once you get the VIN attached you have to have it inspected by a law enforcement official. Then you can go get it registered and plated.
I have my 2nd phone interview Wed. I just got to thinking if they offer me the job I will likely only have my 2 week notice to get ready. Not so sure the govt can get the paperwork done that fast with mailing and all.
The small boat trailer I found initially doesn't have a title so I may have to find one thats already tagged and titled, just transfer to my name.

My buddy just saw a nice, small one bike trailer for sale in town so I may go look at that today. Said he wants $800, if I can get him down to $600 I may go for it.
I guess my biggest concern was can a car this size haul a bike and small trailer safely. I never seen it done but from the great feedback you guys are giving it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.
I've got too much time fabricating custom parts and doing the paint on this bike to watch it go sliding down the interstate attached to a trailer. LOL

Last edited by superprohero; 05-25-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Wouldnt hurt to read the towing info in the Caddy manual.

Quick Reply: Tow a bike with a Cadillac CTS??