General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:46 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon

Just wanted to get a quick post up here.. we are currently into the fourth day of a 5 day road trip to ride the dragon ( the 8 or 9 miles that are currently open anyway ) and ride the surrounding area. So far, it's been great, there are soooo many great roads down here.. I'm gonna be spoiled when we finally get back up to southeastern Pa. So far we've run the dragon twice.. and ridden the Cherahala Skyway twice, as well as riding the Foothills Parkway, and Rt 360. We also rode up to Gatlinburg, through Cherokee and Smokey Mtn's National Park. We've had great weather and considering all the rain they called for, we've had maybe an hour's worth in 1100 plus miles so far. I'll try to get some pictures up when we get home.. I'm jealous of y'all who live close enough to ride these roads on a regular basis. The one thing we won't have time to ride this time is the Devil's Triangle.. but that's ok... it means I have an "excuse" to run down here again. One more run on the dragon today and then sadly, we have to gear up to head on home. But, it's been a great run.. and we will be back!

Cheers

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 05-23-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Enjoy! I got to ride the Dragon last month with my Dad and we had a great time. Lots of great riding around there.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

lucky you! enjoy the ride

Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Motorcycle heaven! With the Dragon open from the south only made for the best recent years riding. NO 18 wheelers cramming thru, tearing up the road in the process. Having the meat wagon stationed on the Dragon a real bene as well. Like you mentioned, so many amazing miles of superb motorcycle roads..

Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Got some friends down there now. We will be down there in July.

One question that always enters my mind with these posts is how in the hell are you guys posting when you are on a road trip? Do you take your laptops with you?.... lol

Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

It sure is a great area I spent a week in between motorcycle shows ,rode all over and was able to get a little fly fishing in too...

Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to kick a dead horse.. but I gotta say again.. this trip has been nothing short of incredible. Turns out just about all of the dragon is open.. We rode it again yesterday. Along with all the other roads I mentioned, after the dragon we rode out RT 28 to Highland and back.. just one more incredible motorcycle ride.. to add to all the other great rides we've had down here. This morning we gear up to ride home.. 680 miles of wishing we had more time to ride down here. Like I said, I will get some pictures up this week sometime. I'm taking an extra day of... since I have all sorts of stuff to catch up on.. and I need to get the scoot cleaned up and squared away since this weekend coming up is Rolling Thunder in DC. I'm guessing we'll have run say, 2 thousand to maybe 2500 miles this trip by the time we get home. I guess the bottom line to all this is.. if anyone is thinking about coming out this way to ride.. go for it. The roads are GREAT, and we've meet and shared stories with some great fellow riders. Ain't no doubt we'll be back. As far as posting while on the road.. for this run I did pack a netbook. I don't usually do that but we knew ahead of time the rental house had net access so.. we took advantage of that for email, weather, and of course... keeping up here. Sorry for the rant... pictures as soon as I get time..

Cheers

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 05-24-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

We are going up thursday for 5 days....

Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

glad u had a good time. sounds like u found some of the good roads in the area. the devil's triangle is pretty rough right now so you didn't miss anything.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 AM
bennenrkc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving thursday or friday for the week....

I am looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon