General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 AM
larry harding
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

western n.c, and eastern tenn. are home to me. wouldn't want to live anywhere else. i've rode the dragon a couple of times, it is just another curvey mountain road , but with a lot of p.r. if you are in this area be sure to visit the wheels through time museum in maggie valley.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

its on my list

Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mavrickFLHR
About the spoiled part.. lots of that area we've ridden for years.. from chadd's ford up to wellsboro and beyond.. there are lots of good roads.. Rt 32, 897, 340, 45, 414, 287, 44, 625, 125, 282.. but for us.. it's all been there done that.. and as great as some of that is.. there just aren't many roads to compare to some these we've just experienced.. thats my current perception at least.. but again, the bottom line is it was a great ride.. and I'm sure I'll be back

btw tequila john.. we did exactly that so we were close... maybe next time we'll stop in and say hi. I would be great to meet some forum people.. I actually should have thought of it before we left..

pics as soon as I can..

Cheers

mavrick
Cool! Definitely shoot me a PM next time you're heading this way, and we'll hook up for a brew or two. I ride a road similar to 360 every morning on the way to work...at least, til I get out to the main highway...hills, curves, and a good li'l stretch along the lake. Some mornings, the sunrise and mist coming off the lake along that stretch is just incredible.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Wheels still open? I was there last year and it was closed.

I'd love to live in Tennessee. Awesome roads, awesome food, great people, and beautiful women.

Indeed don't just focus on the Dragon - hit Google Maps, and hit up some of the others from Maryville. You can spend all day and not hit a straight road.

Cannon

Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jonny Cannon
Is Wheels still open? I was there last year and it was closed.

I'd love to live in Tennessee. Awesome roads, awesome food, great people, and beautiful women.

Indeed don't just focus on the Dragon - hit Google Maps, and hit up some of the others from Maryville. You can spend all day and not hit a straight road.

Cannon
What's this "straight road" thingy you speak of?

I heard the Wheels museum is open again in Maggie. They were gonna move out to Arizona at one time in the past, but didn't for some reason. I think they had been having a hard time with the local commission in Maggie...musta ironed things out with 'em? Here's a link to their site.
http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/
Looks like they're closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

As and end to all this.. the finally tally is 2100 miles in 7 days, including the ride down and back home.. Our shortest day ride was 135 miles and our longest was 249. Bottom line is.. we had a GREAT ride!! This was one of those runs where everything went well.. the riding, the people we met, and especially other bikers.. the scenery, the food, the local people we met, the weather.. it was all good.. and there's no doubt at all we'll be back..

Tequilajohn, I will definitely drop you an email for the next trip.. would be great to meet ya, as well as anyone else from the forum that might be head down that way..

And lastly, I will get some pictures up as soon as we get them all together. There were 4 different camera's so.. you know how that goes..

Cheers

mavrick

btw.. if any of ya are ever riding up here in southeast pa.. feel free to drop me a line.. we can meet for a beer, go for a ride.. whatever ok?