General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRVTWIN vs Ebay.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've never delt with Dr. V-twin but it seems to me from both this thread and havign watched a coupel fo his posts in the past he's a respectable shop and will do what he can to help a customer. so your stuff is on back order and ya gotta wait a bit longer, oh well it happens. hell man it could be far worse you could be in my shoes in respect to expeiriences with indepent shops and dealers. if there is an item dr. v-twin has that i need you can rest assurd i would order it from him before ebay if i could. seems to me the good dr. has gone above and beyond for you by even responding in this thread when he could have easily jus tsaid to hell with it its sunday. hey schu share the popcorn

Old 05-23-2010, 01:28 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought my Hogtunes from Dr. V twin. They treated me fairly. The price was good and the product was delievered in a timely fashion. I personally haven't seen many good deals on Ebay for bike parts. I've generally had good luck on Ebay too though. You just have to buy from people with good feedback.

At the end of the day, if I can get my parts from a business for the same price as Ebay, I go for the business because there is usually someone to communicate with if there are problems.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 PM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

A couple of days ago I called Dr. V-Twin in regards to a set of Power Duals he had listed here for a gonga price. I was ready to give my cc and go when we he asked what bike I have. The pipes were for an 09 and would not work on my 10 (O2 sensors and all. He offered to order the correct unit for me at a discounted price.

He then spoke with me about what my issues really were (hot bike in Arizona) and came up with several altenative ideas. We then went on to chat about a new oil cooler that they are evaluating at this time. All of this on their own time as I was driving in my car. IMHO this is great customer service! I did not purchase anything at the time, but will in the near future

Old 05-23-2010, 02:19 PM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmiller1014
I love to support anyone who supports a site like this one. In fact, I will usually spend MORE money with a company like that, even when I find something considerably cheaper somewhere else.

I tried that here with everything from new bars to pipes, AC, pegs, computers, etc. In the end, DRWTWIN only ever quoted me $10 under normal stealership prices! I opted to do my entire Stage 1 without them because it was a savings of over $300 just on parts!!!

I did give them the benefit of the doubt on some bars and the flush mount fuel gauges though. Unfortunately they failed to deliver even after ALL of my ebay parts had come in. I contacted them tonight and apparently the parts were on back order but noone could be bothered to contact me!!!. Funny too because they arent on backorder according to my ebay vendors!

I will only ever shop on ebay now. At least there we can leave feedback with our purchases and the people have VESTED interest in making us happy.

Go ahead and flame if you want but im saving 40% by dealing online. DRVTWIN is just an online stealership and the customer service sucks!
I posted in Parts Wanted section for a tailight I was willing to buy. DRVTWIN got back to me and sent one FREE. i just paid shipping. Doesn't sound suspect to me!!! BTW good luck with the Ebay thing. Wait until you get someones seconds and can't get help.

jim

Old 05-23-2010, 02:31 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

I'm not keeping score, but it looks so far like:
OP: 1
Rest of the World: bazillion

Now I have to assume that the OP doesn't buy anything on ebay from a seller with less than 100% rating.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My experience with the DR is all good

Old 05-23-2010, 03:11 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogflyer
yeah, what set of cables can you get for $150? set meaning throttle/idle, clutch, front brake, and rear brake. i think this dude(cmiller) is just full of it.
Doesn't sound credible to me. Can't imagine that Drvtwin would be in business long or have the great reviews here if he was doing business like that.

Getting ready to swap out cables on the wife's bike and he's certainly going to be at the top of my list of vendors to check out.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:32 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I checked out the Drvtwin site today for the first time. I've been searching the market for a few parts and went to check out his prices.

The one thing I noticed was this:
I was looking at a seat he had listed, MSRP was X amount, his price about $20 less. Sounds like a good deal. Then I went to another site that I've been ordering from and they have the exact same seat. They showed MSRP as the DRvtwin sale price and their price was almost $100 less.

So my impression is DRvtwin is giving false higher MSRP prices to make his prices seem lower. At least in this exact case.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
cmiller1014
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if I came across as a jerk but after buying a ton of parts on eBay, and some from drvtwin i just had a better experience with eBay. Plain and simple. All were ordered at the same time and everything from eBay is already here and installed. Since my bike is apart waiting on pieces from drvtwin I figured it was a good time to check on the parts from drvtwin. I really could have cared less if he answered on a Sunday or not, but he did and that's cool. When he told me the bars were backordered and wouldn't be in for a month I got a little pissed off though. Not because of the backordered but because of the lack of communication while my bike is in pieces in my garage and hoping to be back together for a rally in 3 weeks. I won't even ask about the other parts which were not on back order. Guess they were gonna sit on those for a month too.

Anyway - to each their own. Typing a part number into eBay and buying brand new parts from top rated sellers with 10,000+ positive feedback, paying 40% less and getting parts in 3-4 days from when I buy them is the route I will go from now on.

Oh by the way... I had a top rated seller contact me within 30 mins to tell me my smoked lens covers were on back order and wanted to know if I wanted to cancel or wait 2 weeks for them. Now THAT is service... Contacting a customer about a piece of plastic when they have probably 100+ other orders going at the same time.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:46 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

taking your bike apart when you don't have the pieces to put it back together aint good planning - and as the old saying goes "failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on (my) part"

no bueno trying to drag this company through the weeds based on your lack of planning - I for one will definitely try to use him for parts even if price is even or slightly more ... service is so crappy nowadays in general that if i find a good source I'll pay a little more just to be treated right. Responding after hours and on the weekends, very cool (imo) - and as a jeep parts supplier I use always tells his customers - DO NOT start your project until all your parts have ACTUALLY arrived (and in good condition). I have a feeling (jeep guy) he's had a few po'd customers over the years who tore into their rig expecting parts that arrived late or arrived damaged... bad idea.

good luck getting your scoot back together, but i don't see where the fault lies with the dr

Last edited by VsTheWorld; 05-23-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: DRVTWIN vs Ebay.....