General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New motorcycle break in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMitch
I know quite a bit of sport bike riders, mostly older guys with liter bikes who live at the track, and they all swear by this method. Here is a link for the info on it..... http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
When I had the 95" upgrade on my 01 RK done I followed the break in technique from the moto link you provided. No problems or issues. Bike was still running strong 15000 miles later when I traded for my Streetbob.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I did the 30-60 mph thing 10 X in a row in 3rd gear and let the engine brake itself down to 30 and then I'd throtle it back to 60 in 3rd gear, and I changed my oil @100 miles, 500 miles and 1000 miles. I changed out my tranny and primary @500 miles too.
Engine braking is essential for seating the rings. you need to get the combustion pressures up to push the rings against the cylinder walls. On a new motor i change the oil at 200,500 and 1000 miles. Keep it off the freeway as a steady throttle is no good for break in. Ride back roads with lots of turns. this way you are off and on the throttle at every turn.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:07 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Twisting the Throttle Often Varying Speeds, Engine Braking, Cool Down Periods after 50 Miles, 100, 500, 1,000 Mile Oil Changes all make sense to me .. Running it WOT consistently right off the bat does not ..

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 05-23-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

This is a topic as hot as which oil to use.the motor builder/machinists know the correct way to breakin a new motor,the rest are blowing hot air.Break one in hard,you can bet it will not last as long as a motor broken in by the book.Only exceptions are racing motors and riders who do not care or know any other way.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Jabo
Cruiser

I bought my bike in January and I live in North Carolina, so heat wasn't too much of a factor. I varied the speed, still gave it cool down times and broke it in like the dealer advised. It sure seems to run great now.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Think about this. If you take your new bike on the highway and ride it for 10 minutes at a steady 3000 rpm, the pistons will have made 30,000 trips up and down the cylinders and every other moving part in the engine will have done their thing also. Figure in the time the motor has idled, accelerated and otherwise been running and I'll wager that it is "broken in" much faster than one would think.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Wicked Cricket
Banned

Originally Posted by Foodog
Think about this. If you take your new bike on the highway and ride it for 10 minutes at a steady 3000 rpm, the pistons will have made 30,000 trips up and down the cylinders and every other moving part in the engine will have done their thing also. Figure in the time the motor has idled, accelerated and otherwise been running and I'll wager that it is "broken in" much faster than one would think.
"10 minutes at a steady 3000 rpm" is exactly what you shouldn't do...I'm not sure what your point is, are you saying varying speeds on and off the throttle will take too long to make 50 miles...so ride 10 min. at 3k RPMs!? The whole point in breaking in the engine for the first 50 miles is so your valves seat and you don't wend up with a motor that burns oil. Granted, you can take the chance and break your bike in any way you want, but I've had great resukts following the Mfg'er's breakin proceedure with my last 2 new HDs absolutly no engine related problems, including 124k on my Evo, and none of my bikes burn oil. A constant speed / RPM on a new motor is the last thing you want to do.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I broke mine in pretty hard, 0-80mph full throttle a few times and then rode it like normal ever since. This advice was given by the tech that built my 103, maybe they were trying to sell more parts, but since it was under warranty maybe not.
My bike runs great, gets decent mpg, and does not burn any oil. 15k and counting. The one thing my mechanic warned against was sustained rpm within the same range, ie interstate cruising in a single gear. So I stayed on back roads and varied my throttle and gearing for 500 miles or so.

Last edited by Ruralmed; 05-23-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket
"10 minutes at a steady 3000 rpm" is exactly what you shouldn't do...I'm not sure what your point is, are you saying varying speeds on and off the throttle will take too long to make 50 miles...so ride 10 min. at 3k RPMs!? The whole point in breaking in the engine for the first 50 miles is so your valves seat and you don't wend up with a motor that burns oil. Granted, you can take the chance and break your bike in any way you want, but I've had great resukts following the Mfg'er's breakin proceedure with my last 2 new HDs absolutly no engine related problems, including 124k on my Evo, and none of my bikes burn oil. A constant speed / RPM on a new motor is the last thing you want to do.
Only pointing out that the pistons, and other moving parts make many thousands of revolutions long before the recommended break in period and I'm wagering that the break in occurs much sooner than expected. Never did understand the valve seating thing. The valves and seats are ground to specific tolerances and should be a correct fit from the git go. What exactly occurs during this "seating" process?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Wicked Cricket
Banned

To ensure long engine life, low oil consumption, and good power and torque, it's recommended that a freshly built motor, or new motor, in order to let the parts, including the rings, the bearings and the valves, break in gradually and slowly acquire a wear pattern. If the first miles of driving are too aggressive, there is the chance that the bearings could gall and seize, that valve seats might not seal properly, leading to burned valves, and that rings would not seat, making for high oil consumption.

Quick Reply: New motorcycle break in?