General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Harley The Only "Real" Chopper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010 | 12:43 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

I've wonder that as well. I guess it depends on the true definition of what a real chopper is. For example. I've never consider the scoots that OCC manufactures as choppers but if you ask them, they would say they are.

This is one definition of what a Chopper is:

A chopper is a type of motorcycle that is either modified from another motorcycle or built from scratch to have an authentic “chopper” appearance. The main features of a chopper that make it stand out are its longer frame design accompanied with a stretch front end. To achieve a longer front end, while the frame is being designed, the fabricator will tilt the neck at less of an incline and install a longer fork. Another unique aspect of a chopper design is that there is usually no rear suspension. The frame of the motorcycle will extend from the neck (or front of the frame) all the way to the rear wheel. This can make handling more challenging and the ride a bit more "bumpy" but is necessary for the look that is desired. Well know examples of chopper designs are the customized Harley-Davidsons seen in the 1969 film Easy Rider and choppers built by West Coast Choppers and Orange County Choppers.

I don't agree completely but what do I know.

Old 05-19-2010 | 12:47 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by bikes
I've wonder that as well. I guess it depends on the true definition of what a real chopper is. For example. I've never consider the scoots that OCC manufactures as choppers but if you ask them, they would say they are.

This is one definition of what a Chopper is:

A chopper is a type of motorcycle that is either modified from another motorcycle or built from scratch to have an authentic “chopper” appearance. The main features of a chopper that make it stand out are its longer frame design accompanied with a stretch front end. To achieve a longer front end, while the frame is being designed, the fabricator will tilt the neck at less of an incline and install a longer fork. Another unique aspect of a chopper design is that there is usually no rear suspension. The frame of the motorcycle will extend from the neck (or front of the frame) all the way to the rear wheel. This can make handling more challenging and the ride a bit more "bumpy" but is necessary for the look that is desired. Well know examples of chopper designs are the customized Harley-Davidsons seen in the 1969 film Easy Rider and choppers built by West Coast Choppers and Orange County Choppers.

I don't agree completely but what do I know.
This is just my opinion and really only matter to me but.....That whole definition sounds like a crock of **** to me.

Old 05-19-2010 | 12:52 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior

choppers and bobbers are not brand specific. just cause you don't like any of the others don't make them anything less than what they are.

Old 05-19-2010 | 12:56 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's ya an old school chopper from the early 70's. It's not a HD, but it's still a chopper. It does have a sportster neck though, holding the 12" over springer. I rode the tank when I was about 3 or 4 years old. Hope to bring it back to it's former glory one day.

Old 05-19-2010 | 12:57 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

I see very few HD choppers, but alot of other makes. Like was said being a chopper has nothing to do with HD.

Old 05-19-2010 | 02:09 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
This is just my opinion and really only matter to me but.....That whole definition sounds like a crock of **** to me.
I agree with the first part. The second part, oh well!

Old 05-19-2010 | 02:11 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by bikes
I agree with the first part. The second part, oh well!
Well at least we agree on something which is better than I usually do with others.

Old 05-19-2010 | 02:17 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member

A chopper is a H-D Period. There never were enough Indians to talk about - whoever mentioned that brand. A triumph or BSA phht! Honda ppphhhtt! That is supposed to be a farting sound to indicate my disdain.

Old 05-19-2010 | 04:08 PM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
Here's ya an old school chopper from the early 70's. It's not a HD, but it's still a chopper. It does have a sportster neck though, holding the 12" over springer. I rode the tank when I was about 3 or 4 years old. Hope to bring it back to it's former glory one day.

I'd love to have that to fix up. My one uncle had a triumph very similar to that when he came home from nahm.

I'm likin the CR so far IronAss. Only been able to put 250 miles on it so far though

Old 05-19-2010 | 04:30 PM
asham
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl

This, my friends is what i consider a chopper. Regardless what motor it has. A hard tail frame, out outrageous front end, no front brake, King/Queen seat. You really need to find the time and money to get it back on the road.

Quick Reply: Is Harley The Only "Real" Chopper?