General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question on V&H install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Quick question on V&H install.

Call me a tight-wad, I don't mind. My staggereds are arriving tommorrow from Dennis Kirk, $489 no shipping. I also purchased the sensor plugs and port gaskets for my 06 Deluxe. I was going to take it to an indy, then thought, hey, I'm a smart guy, I'll do the install myself. More $$ to be saved. Just came in from the garage and all I'm seeing on the bike is some bolts. I've also read the pipes come with good instructions. Can I do this myself, need another set of hands,etc.? I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not stupid either. If there's even a slight chance of mucking it up good I won't attempt it. Please give me some good advice, thanks.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 AM
CADguy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine you should be able to install the pipes. Take your time and make sure not to strip any threads. Get everything in place and lined up, then tighten all the bolts.

Only thing I can think of, is, having the bike reprogrammed if your running FI.

Good luck on the install.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 AM
County98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do it. Need some basic wrenches/sockets with maybe universal & extensions.

Put a blanket or something on the floor, holding the pipes with one hand, positioning the header with the other, getting the gasket in there and starting the nut with the OTHER 3rd hand...lol. Gets heavy.

Get a service manual for your bike is always a good idea, and WILL pay for itself.

Good luck and ask questions if you get stuck. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

Thanks. Looks like a 1/2" socket. Think I'm gonna give it a shot. If anyone has some tips,etc. I'd sure appreciate it. I was thinking the same thing with some blankets. Since my wife OK'd the purchase I'll see if she'll assist in holding it (pipes) for me.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Simple as can be. Get new exhaust gaskets. It is about 6 bolts to remove and replace. the hardest part is the heat shields, but here is what I do. Put the heat shields on the new pipes loosely so you can move them around. Put on the exhaust bracket, loosely attach the head bolts, attach the pipes to the bracket. Tighten everything down. I use a 6" extension and a 1/2" socket and for the bottom front bolt either just a ratchet with the socket and no extension, or a regular 1/2" open ended wrench. It depends on what fits. V&H insturctions always say to use a sharpie to mark the pipes for the heat shields. I have never done this. For someone who has never done this ti might take an hour and a half or so. More money for future mods is the way to go.

Drew

Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

One other quickie: I posted earlier in regard to my SE air cleaner and stage 1 setup for my current SE exhaust. Mixed responses. I'm hoping after the new pipes are on, I'm good to roll with no concern with fuel mgmt. Just wanted to make sure I'm not damaging the bike if, let's say, it appears to be running fine afterward. ie. how can I tell if it's running too hot or in some other harmful way?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you have a dealer download or anything to tune the system already? If you don't I recommend getting one or the other as adding more air to the engine will the cause the bike to run even leaner than it already does from the factory which is very lean. What is your current setup? Rule fo thumb is if you change the exhaust AND air filter add a download or tuner. I assume since you already have slip on's and air filter that you have a download or tuner? If that is the case you'll be fine although it will run much better with a new map or a Dyno tune.

Drew

Old 05-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

You should have a torque wrench (inch pounds). Having an extra set of hands to help position and steady the pipes while you install would be helpful but you can do it alone if need be. Also be sure you get the old gaskets out before putting in the new ones. You may need a small curved pick to get ahold of them as they will be crushed in pretty tight. Also a snap ring plier set will make it a bit easier to remove and install the snap rings. I always use some anti seize paste on the flange nuts. Don't forget to re-torque the flange nuts after the first couple of rides.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tie the back of the pipe up and put the back pipe in before the front pipe. It sound funny but it work every time.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

DR-V-TWIN, Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I bought the bike from the original owner who had the SE pipes, SE air cleaner, and stage 1 download all done by HD. After much research and talking with a well-known indy, it seems that I will have very minimal concerns wtih performance after new pipes are on. I am hoping this is the case, but don't want to cause any damage if there are no symptoms of anything being wrong. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Quick question on V&H install.