General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill a Motorcyclist:Get off free

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:28 PM
toe_hold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can all sit at our keyboards and complain about this stupid lady or we can start to do something about it.

I can't make it to Waco to talk to anyone in person but I can send letters to the editor. Hopefully spread the word to the folks in Waco that they are in danger from this lady and the powers that be.

I left a letter this morning. Now go forth and do likewise.

http://www.wacotrib.com/opinion/letters/submit/

TH

Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Squee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toe_hold
We can all sit at our keyboards and complain about this stupid lady or we can start to do something about it.

I can't make it to Waco to talk to anyone in person but I can send letters to the editor. Hopefully spread the word to the folks in Waco that they are in danger from this lady and the powers that be.

TH

Done.

Thank you for the link.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

why were there no child endangerment charges filed
It was part of the plea bargain. The sentence isn't that unusual. Simply looking at the definition of Veh. Manslaughter confirms it.

Vehicular Manslaughter

n. the crime of causing the death of a human being due to illegal driving of an automobile, including gross negligence, drunk driving, reckless driving or speeding.

Vehicular manslaughter can be charged as a misdemeanor (minor crime with a maximum punishment of a year in county jail or only a fine) or a felony (punishable by a term in state prison) depending on the circumstances.

Gross negligence or driving a few miles over the speed limit might be charged as a misdemeanor, but drunk driving resulting in a fatality is most likely treated as a felony.

Death of a passenger, including a loved one or friend, can be vehicular manslaughter if due to illegal driving.
Years ago my department had a somewhat similar case with a similar outcome although a pedestrian and not a motorcyclist was involved. It really is a no win situation for anyone.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:16 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
I tried looking up an email address of Waco 19th District Court where the trial took place. There was no email address available. The judge was Honorable Ralph Strother, in case someone want to let them know what they think about the trial results.

McLennan County Courthouse
501 Washington Ave., Suite 303
Waco, Texas 76701
Phone: (254) 757-5081
Fax: (254) 759-5683
Very good, bikes. Write or call the judge and let him know how you feel, people. Sentencing is not until July 19.

[QUOTE=toe_hold;6742454]We can all sit at our keyboards and complain about this stupid lady or we can start to do something about it.

Great move toehold. Maybe we can get or there may already be someone in Waco getting something going on this. There was 2 letters in the editorial section of the Tribune Herald today speaking out against this. One from the mayor of Lacy Lakeview, TX. Which is a city connected to Waco.
http://www.wacotrib.com/opinion/letters/94366954.html

Last edited by OLD 96; 05-21-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This isn't just about motorcycles....pedestrians, other cars, bicyclists get the same treatment...nothing special about us...dead is dead even if you are not a biker. John

Old 05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If ya want to kill someone, a car. suv, or truck is the very best weapon ya can choose. Just be dammit sure ya don't do the KUI thing. ..............Kill Under the Influnce, that is!

Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 956 Posts

i know i am crazy. If she went to a mall with a firearm and started shooting randomly, she is legally blind, she might hit someone, she may not. What is the difference with using a car as a weapon? She cannot see. She may hit someone, she may not. Unfortunately she did hit someone. One of us. A motorcylist. And he died. He paid the ultimate price. His life. For what. What was the great reason she had to be out on the public thoroughfare endangering her life, the children's life and the public in general's life. I don't know. It might be me or you next. Only My Lord knows. Maybe her Lord says it is OK to kill. So long as you can put it behind you. It is only biker vermin. Might as well run over a dog.

Last edited by OLD 96; 05-22-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is exactly why this story is so perplexing. She intentionally drove a car (not under duress), not only without a license, but in an incapacitated state. THAT is no different that under the influence of alcohol. People are charged with a minimum of involuntary manslaughter, to say the least, in this instance. People have gotten worse punishment for less of an offense. There is something fishy about this story ... Either it isn't true to detail, she got off on a technicality or someone is doing something they shouldn't be doing.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happens all the time. She is a Grandmother. She has no money. Put the woman in jail just cost money and doesn't win any votes at election time. She might even have gotten off with a sympathetic jury of her peers. She killed a biker. She apparently didn't kill someone that the D.A. considers a pillar of the community. She wasn't drunk so MADD doesn't have a dog in this fight. The excuses are many. Story isn't fishy---bikers don't matter---money talks bullshit walks---no profit in prosecuting a blind, broke, grandma. It is what it it.
Originally Posted by bikergirl40
That is exactly why this story is so perplexing. She intentionally drove a car (not under duress), not only without a license, but in an incapacitated state. THAT is no different that under the influence of alcohol. People are charged with a minimum of involuntary manslaughter, to say the least, in this instance. People have gotten worse punishment for less of an offense. There is something fishy about this story ... Either it isn't true to detail, she got off on a technicality or someone is doing something they shouldn't be doing.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:57 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Happens all the time. She is a Grandmother. She has no money. Put the woman in jail just cost money and doesn't win any votes at election time. She might even have gotten off with a sympathetic jury of her peers. She killed a biker. She apparently didn't kill someone that the D.A. considers a pillar of the community. She wasn't drunk so MADD doesn't have a dog in this fight. The excuses are many. Story isn't fishy---bikers don't matter---money talks bullshit walks---no profit in prosecuting a blind, broke, grandma. It is what it it.
I don't know if I entirely believe this happened only because she had killed a 'biker' .. It could have easily been a pedestrian, a kid running out to catch a ball, a 'gaggle' of kindergardeners ... It's tragic in every scenario ... Grandmother or not ... Prisons are already filled with people who have commited less serious crimes and are just as poor .. WHAT is so freek'n special about THIS one lady??? I don't believe it's because she is poor, or that she is a grandmother ...This isn't the first time she gambled with the lives of others. I just don't get it!