General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smallest low profile out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
DirtyDawg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smallest low profile out?

I am in the market for a new helmet. Bought a GMax55 and although design cool, has flip down visor, removable lining and very comfortable, it gives me the mushrrom effect BAD. i look like my head is top heavy! So i've been doing research trying to find the smallest and the most info i see points to ACC which has been recalled. So have been looking at 3 finialist Zox carbon kevlar old school shorty, Daytona carbon/ kevlar shorty , EXL carbon/kevlar shorty. EXL seems to be new on the seen claim to have smallest liner (though alot claim to be) at 3/4 of an inch and about 70 bones cheaper so been leaning towards them. Went to the harley shop and tried on vega. they sat a lil lower around sides but high in middle! If anyone has any info or pics of these helmets would be a huge help. thnx

Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,485 Likes on 903 Posts

Just use the search feature & type in "dot half helmet". Have fun

But to save you the headache Vega XTS Naked, Fulmer 81 Naked, Daytona Skull Cap. Find the one that fits your head shape. Vega=oval, Daytona=round & Fulmer is in the middle. Also HCI-100 (same as the EXL shorty) is in the mix & is a little shallower then the others.

Link to seach results https://www.hdforums.com/forum/searc...archid=4856258

Last edited by golfblues; 05-18-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just picked up the GMAX 55 last week and really like it. Yeah, it's bigger than I thought it would be, but doesn't matter to me.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by petemac
I just picked up the GMAX 55 last week and really like it. Yeah, it's bigger than I thought it would be, but doesn't matter to me.

GMAX 55 & 35 are huge as is the Scorpion EXO-100 which I use in the winter. He wants a small DOT. There really isn't one.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
DirtyDawg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definately not knocking the Gmax. Good helmet but just looking for something smaller

Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I've pretty much given up looking for a 'good looking' 1/2. Vega didn't fit me well. I keep looking for a non-novelty decent looking DOT, but honestly, I thought I looked stupider in the novelty than I did in the DOT. I too have the G-max 55, and so far it's very light, very comfortable and the aerodynamics are good. Bottom line, it's comfortable, so I'm more likely to wear it, no matter how it looks...

So, I'm giving into comfort over style, but if the GMax fits you good (I have a Large) and you find a good fitting smaller DOT helmet that works good, let me know!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Im pretty fussy about mushroom heads, i found its not easy to find a DOT helmut that doesn't give this effect. Just bought the ZOX (BANOS) half helmut, have to say it's not to bad. Sits pretty low on the head, otherwise i wouldn't have bought it.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand he's looking for smaller, but like you said, I haven't seen one. I'm just saying the GMAX 55 is a pretty nice helmet and doesn't give much head buffeting at all. I rode in some real nasty wind on Sat with it and it was rock solid. I'm guessing to meet DOT they can't get much smaller.

Originally Posted by golfblues
GMAX 55 & 35 are huge as is the Scorpion EXO-100 which I use in the winter. He wants a small DOT. There really isn't one.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:33 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by petemac
I understand he's looking for smaller, but like you said, I haven't seen one. I'm just saying the GMAX 55 is a pretty nice helmet and doesn't give much head buffeting at all. I rode in some real nasty wind on Sat with it and it was rock solid. I'm guessing to meet DOT they can't get much smaller.
The GMAX 55 is about the same size as the Scorpion EXO-100. Both are really nice helmets but there are other DOT half helmets that are a lot smaller.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:29 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

just seen and read on these last week
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOT-V...ht_3530wt_1165

Quick Reply: smallest low profile out?