General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider cracks me up on a group ride.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:09 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

The rolling thunder sound. Police blocking intersections, (some anyway).
The wide eyes of cagers as we pass, (some only see us when in a group).

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:14 PM
kd5hrm
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kowan
(some only see us when in a group).
That's funny because it's so true.

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:24 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Got a small group ride coming up tomorrow morning. I guess 7 or 8 of us. I'm a newb and this is my second with them. They invited me for another so I must have done ok.

Before the first one I said I definately wanted to go last and I didn't want to do side by side riding ( I thought that's what everybody did ). There were 2 sport bikes with us and they pulled out behind me. It didn't take long before they blew by everybody at about 150mph in a straight away. The lead guy liked to get on it and after a while I was number 3. The 2 man was a guy that everyone chuckles about since he doesn't usually ride far or fast and won't go for sure if there's a chance of rain. He's got alot of money into his bike and keeps it emaculate. We were on a windy road and I kept running up on his *** while the leader was getting way ahead. It was probably better to be safe. Who knows, maybe he kept me from overextending my abilities. Anyways, I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Old 07-18-2010 | 03:32 AM
Hellcat1
Advanced

I was riding with the local "bad boy"(in his mind) a couple of weeks ago who has a softtail, a road glide and a honda blah blah who gives a f@ck in his stable. I was talking about maybe putting some speakers on my bars because I miss music, and i hate listening to my ipod like alot of of guys i ride with. He gets all pissy and goes "jesus christ, do you even have 100,000 miles on your bike yet?" Is that the magic number before you can listen to David Allan Coe on your ride..100,000 miles? I'm just curious, cause even on my truck I usually only put about 12000 a year on her...my bike about 8k. Do I have to ride a couple more years before I've "payed my dues" and can listen to music? By the way, I get to listen to this ********* music every time I role up to a stoplight cause he has a RG.

Old 07-18-2010 | 04:47 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Default How I do it

Originally Posted by stovetop0844
If everyone hates riding with new riders so much, how are they supposed to learn. I am a fairly new rider, and I have never been in a group ride. I would like to eventually, but if everybody and their brother doesn't want to ride with someone who has never been in a group before, how in the ***** am I supposed to learn how to ride in a group?
Been Riding 40 years not saying am the best, but most of the time I get stuck leading, because the areas we ride I know better than most .. I have found the best place for a newbie is Flank of the Lead Rider he watches someone thats experienced and making the right moves when stopping, turning and leaning into the curves ... While perhaps some may never learn found this to work very well with most newbies ..

Old 07-18-2010 | 06:05 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by GymRat523
Six of us did a ride up into Pa. this weekend and someone brought a new guy who just bought a RK last fall.
He was in the 5 spot I was 6 and he kept lagging way behind the group so I finally passed him, half an hour later at a stop he jumped back in front of me but for the rest of the day he stayed right wth the group and anytime he dropped off even a little I could see him checking his mirrors for me. I guess he hates being last.
One of those things that just cracked me up a little on the ride, I think I pissed him off. Weird but schooling a new guy kind of made me smile.
After you cracked up, and had a chuckle at the new guy..... I'm sure you walked over and explained what you did, and why you did it. And then offered the new rider some haplful hints he could use, based on your years of experience

Originally Posted by stovetop0844
If everyone hates riding with new riders so much, how are they supposed to learn. I am a fairly new rider, and I have never been in a group ride. I would like to eventually, but if everybody and their brother doesn't want to ride with someone who has never been in a group before, how in the ***** am I supposed to learn how to ride in a group?
To be fair... a new rider, should hone their skills BEFORE joining in any group ride. Taking a week end class, does NOT gain a new ride skills, or experience. A rider should spend a good 3 months riding and learning their bike before joining in a group ride situtation.

Group riding, is like riding in heavy traffic. If group riding is something YOU want to do... talk to the ride leader, before joining in a ride. Let him/her know you are a new rider.
Some groups will slow the pace for you, others will tell you either keep up, or F-off.

Get to know the group you are planning on riding with. Most groups will go out of their way to work with you. Smaller groups, and shorter rides. Plenty of stops, and helpful discussions. But not ALL groups...and it's up to YOU, to make the choice, which group is right for you....

Old 07-18-2010 | 06:48 AM
handyhoward
Road Master

Originally Posted by GymRat523
Six of us did a ride up into Pa. this weekend and someone brought a new guy who just bought a RK last fall.
He was in the 5 spot I was 6 and he kept lagging way behind the group so I finally passed him, half an hour later at a stop he jumped back in front of me but for the rest of the day he stayed right wth the group and anytime he dropped off even a little I could see him checking his mirrors for me. I guess he hates being last.
One of those things that just cracked me up a little on the ride, I think I pissed him off. Weird but schooling a new guy kind of made me smile.
Being sweeper or last in a group ride has many responsibilities... one of which is to maintain your position in the rear to make sure that all riders including a "lagger" have a backup. The proper way to solve the "lagger" situation is to take him/her aside during the break and finding out the reason that they lose track of the group... then working with them to resolve the issue... not blasting past them to **** them off. Group ride dynamics are very different than buddy riding or solo riding and as sweeper you have group responsibilities. If other riders in the group **** you off maybe you should consider a position in the group with less responsibility.

Old 07-18-2010 | 07:03 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

We used to hate riding with those that never cared about maintainance,and were always breaking down.One toy run always comes to mind,30 or more bikes were to show up at our home and all leave for the stageing area at an HD Dealership.Because of one guy breaking down twice,finally the third time we left him,(he did have a cell and someone come to haul him) Still, we missed everything made it to the statehouse as Thousands of motorcycles were headed the opposite direction.

Old 07-18-2010 | 07:51 AM
Hot_Pasta
Cruiser

Originally Posted by budnlucy
Same here, I don't like an idiot behind me.
i dont like a man behind me ! LOL

Old 07-18-2010 | 08:27 AM
rickf28
Advanced

Originally Posted by skootchnc

To be fair... a new rider, should hone their skills BEFORE joining in any group ride. Taking a week end class, does NOT gain a new ride skills, or experience. A rider should spend a good 3 months riding and learning their bike before joining in a group ride situtation.

Group riding, is like riding in heavy traffic. If group riding is something YOU want to do... talk to the ride leader, before joining in a ride. Let him/her know you are a new rider.
Some groups will slow the pace for you, others will tell you either keep up, or F-off.

Get to know the group you are planning on riding with. Most groups will go out of their way to work with you. Smaller groups, and shorter rides. Plenty of stops, and helpful discussions. But not ALL groups...and it's up to YOU, to make the choice, which group is right for you....
I agree 100%.....I do ride alone for the simple fact that I dont want to look like an idiot..

Me being a fairly new rider I do tend to take my time and go through all the proper steps when making turns....Parking in lots ect.

I dont want to hold anyone up so I cruise alone...

When im ready for group I hope (im sure ill ride with good people) that they take the time to explain how they do things instead of giving me hard time or doing dangerous manuvers around me to show off.

Thanks for the input
Rick

Quick Reply: New rider cracks me up on a group ride.