General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider cracks me up on a group ride.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010 | 08:12 AM
cadman311
Club Member

No side-by-side riding somebody forgot to everybody in the groups we ride with.

Old 05-19-2010 | 08:26 AM
CroK
Banned

Like a couple of the others, I don't usually ride with groups. Big or small, I'm just not into it. On occasion, when I do ride with a few others, I will always ride last. It helps me learn by watching other more experienced riders, and I don't have to worry about some one less experience plowin up my ***. A big plus is that you will never see my mistakes unless it's through your mirrors...

Bein a big guy, I make a pretty good rear bumper for the group also!

Old 05-19-2010 | 10:14 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

If I am riding beside someone then I chose to let it happen. I only let one other person ride side by side with me as a rule. We know exactly what will happen if we screw up. We don't screw up. Done been tested a few times in the past. There are a few others in the group or on a group ride that have tried to ride side by side or hold a conversation with me while in a group ride. I just drop back till they get the message. If I will not ride beside you it is because I don't know you---I do know you---your a moron---your bike is a piece of poorly maintained crap---your pipes are too loud---or your paint is gay looking. I will make momentarily exceptions to the ride by me rule if your a woman dragging out a booby or the woman riding behind you drags out a booby. The pig triumphs common sense momentarily since puberty.

Old 05-19-2010 | 12:41 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by ranger56528
Gota learn some how.....Was on a Zoo run back in the early 90's(about 150-200 riders)and a guy in the middle turned(we dont know why)and took out 4 bikes and 7 people(we were going into a small town).I allways ride in the back or in the 1st 10 bikes if possible but now I dont do big runs,stay with the smaller ones now..........4 yrs ago I meet up with about 27 PGR members for a ride,we all agreed to meet at a perkins being they were from Northeast Mn,got there and they ask who was ranger and said yep thats me...Ended up leading them 48 miles thru 5 towns and never had the pac break up at lights,kept us all together,they were all long term riders and were impressed with my leading them to the Funeral with out a glitch,we all pulled into Fargo as a group....

Years of riding payed off.........
i hate my old lap top...
yeah it takes some skill to lead a ride...when its done right its impressive..timing the lights...setting the pace...keeping the pack tight...tail gunners or a sweep that knows what is going on is important too..

Last edited by sonoffatboy; 05-19-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2010 | 01:00 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by XL50#674
I hate riding with newbees.
I hate riding with a group. In over 45 years of riding two wheels I can seriously say that I have not gone on more than maybe 15 rides with a group.

I have on many occasions met someone while on a ride and ended up putting along with them for a while.

Once on my way back to Seattle from Vegas I met a guy outside of San Francisco and we rode all the way up the coast to Tacoma together. We did it non stop. That was a good memorable ride and stands out as one of my more enjoyable ones. Never saw the guy again after that.

Old 05-19-2010 | 01:09 PM
cadman311
Club Member

You would not like DC Rolling Thunder there 400,000 bikes there.

Old 05-19-2010 | 01:12 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by cadman311
You would not like DC Rolling Thunder there 400,000 bikes there.
No I would not. I'm trying to figure out how to stay away form everyone on the Hoka Hey ride I'm doing next month. There will be 1,000 leaving Key West pretty much all at the same time. Should be interesting to say the least.

Old 05-19-2010 | 06:32 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

I usually ride alone. Sometmes when I catch up to a group, I will fall in line as there is safety in numbers but I don't stay for long.

When I do ride with others it is only a few. Some of the Florida Crew are good in groups, but sometimes one or two will do the accordian thing, but I've only seen that once. When riding with one other person, that'd be Jaxfatboy. He maintains a constant speed and does not weave out of his 1/3 of the lane. I'd almost trust him to ride side by side....almost, cause I think I'd be the one to screw up.

Old 07-17-2010 | 06:08 PM
james88
Advanced

Originally Posted by DocJ
Haha! We all have to start somewhere...

To this day, I still don't ride with groups I'm unfamiliar with. I've been invited on some group rides, but since I don't know anyone in the group I generally pass. One guy in particular, that keeps inviting me, talks about his solo rides alot, and what he does scares me...I guess I'm just afraid the group would be the same. I'm more of a laid back rider. I don't go slow, but I don't find enjoyment in seeing how fast I can go around a blind corner. Going the speed limit is more my cup of tea.
Same here, Don't feel bad.

Old 07-17-2010 | 06:54 PM
Weakened Warrior
Tourer
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by JW1200
I would rather be last.
+1

Agreed. I don't like to have some of these douchebags next to me or behind me. I've seen guys follow too close and hit the brakes hard to avoid the person riding ahead. I'm all for being in the back.

Quick Reply: New rider cracks me up on a group ride.