General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider cracks me up on a group ride.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010 | 12:40 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

i quite like poker runs,around 400 bikes, the M.C guys like to get up front and ride hard, screaming eagle v rods etc!i dont like to be right at the front,heaps of guys close proximity ridin hard with harley brakes!! no thanks,i dont like it right at the back with the straglerseither,they to slow,usualy wait till 2/3 of pack gone then i move

Old 05-19-2010 | 05:14 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

Part of the problem with new guys are:

1. They are new to motorcycling in general.
2. Try to get into a group ride, long before they have ANY skills.
3. Some of them whine when they are told they don't have enough skill. They always asked "How the F***are they supposed to learn?"
4. They spend to much time watching the scenery, instead of the bikes in front.

Part of the solution:

1. Ride more, by yourself. Practice low speed manuevers in a parking lot, at least once per week.
2. See #1.
3. See #1 again. Read books or websites on biking, particularly ones that tell you HOW to ride.
4. When you do get in a group ride...PAY ATTENTION! Don't lag behind, make sure your tank is full before you meet up

Old 05-19-2010 | 05:50 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master

Originally Posted by stovetop0844
If everyone hates riding with new riders so much, how are they supposed to learn. I am a fairly new rider, and I have never been in a group ride. I would like to eventually, but if everybody and their brother doesn't want to ride with someone who has never been in a group before, how in the ***** am I supposed to learn how to ride in a group?
I agree with you. When I joined our touring club, it became very clear very quickly that newbies had to fend for themselves. I was not as confident as I am now especially in a group. I did not know the protocol for riding in a group. There were never any explanations only expectations that I would somehow learn by osmosis, I guess. The first time we went through a traffic light, most of the group went through before it turned red. I of course stopped, but the more experienced guy behind me almost ran into me as he ran the red light. The azz ride captain was angry with both of us. I suppose it scared him but what kind of club doesn't help newbies for everyone's safety? Oh yeah, some of them claim to be instructors!! Imagine. I learned to keep up or I was on my own. Strange bunch, eh??

Old 05-19-2010 | 05:56 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
Cool...what kind of scenarios do you setup to test and evaluate them?
I'd tell them to take and lead me out on County Roads in New York's Finger Lakes area that way I'd see how they'd handle their bikes on curvy and hilly roads. I can tell if their shoulders and back's all tightened up, not handling the bike very well, not staying in their lane shows and states that they're not experienced riders.

I do not insult, slash or yell at them, but give alot of encouraging and positive advices on what they need to do improve and better themselves as riders. Often recommend them to take MSF courses to sharpen their riding skills as well.

Thorey

Old 05-19-2010 | 05:59 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

All the more reason why I like to ride alone...then I can set my own pace, run on my clock, go as fast/slow as I want, enjoy the scenery & not worry about hitting anyone. After 35-years of riding I just like to cruise at my preference(s).

Old 05-19-2010 | 06:06 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer

I ride with a great group, but we have a couple people who just can't seem to get it (one in particular.) Sometimes he can keep up and occasionally uses a hand or foot signal, but eventually he just falls apart, is all over the place, and doesn't pass signals. We've talked to him, offered to take him out with just a couple of us for some "training." But he doesn't want to go and nothing seems to help. It becomes a distraction and dangerous. I used to like riding near the back but lately I'm closer to the front where I don't have to deal with the idiots (except for last weekend when I was tailgunner, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

Old 05-19-2010 | 06:12 AM
OU812
Tourer

Originally Posted by Iceman24
All the more reason why I like to ride alone...then I can set my own pace, run on my clock, go as fast/slow as I want, enjoy the scenery & not worry about hitting anyone. After 35-years of riding I just like to cruise at my preference(s).
Thats how I ride SOLO.....

Old 05-19-2010 | 06:39 AM
cadman311
Club Member

We have great rides in the country road over alot of turns. There some leader that think everybody can ride 20 over the speed limit. And there some new people that will only ride at there skill level or the speed limit. Any way it's there choise to be safe first. If we have to ride in two groups to the same location so be it.

Old 05-19-2010 | 07:08 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Same thing happened to us once on a huge toy run,with a newbe that wanted to ride beside us all the time,no matter what the rest of the run was doing.We talked to them about it.did not matter.Finally we just blew away from them losing them in the sea of motorcycles.

Old 05-19-2010 | 07:21 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

It's important to brief riding groups before a group ride about riding positions, distance (2 second interval), group riding experience, no side-by-side riding, etc. The experienced riders generally will understand and any new riders will not feel like they are being singled out. The safety of everyone in the group should be the most important concern.

Passing someone in a group ride is not a good way of letting someone know you don't like their riding skills.

Last edited by shortride; 05-19-2010 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply: New rider cracks me up on a group ride.